Intelligent Alchemy AO

It seems that some of your shaders are not working equally on all objects. Link’s body and sword for example are affected differently by the cloud effects. Usually when this happens to me it’s due to different UV scales.

Thank you a lot for the suggestion, I’ll give to it a look! however, occasionally I come across some unpleasant artiacts, this morning, only for one random material that was using the shader, it happened that the normalMap was filickering, I lost an hour and more trying to figure out what the problem was, then, switching to the integrated intelHD video card the problem has disappeared. Has it ever happened to you? i wish it is only a video card problem (a mobile ati radeon)

i’m trying to simulate a windy dust effect or a ground fog if there is no wind

That looks amazing :slight_smile: Can you make it so that the fog can collide with objects?

mmm…i have an idea about ​​how to do it, but I’m afraid it could become an heavy FX to handle…
anyway i’ll do some test when i’ll get some time, thank you for the suggestion :slight_smile:

Or you could fade the fog when it collides.

That looks epic as ****! I can really imagine this in a boss / graveyard scene : D

PS: Seems like the fog thins out if you look at it from an angle? Maybe change the density dependent on that to compensate?

PPS: The music in the videos is amazing. Brings me back to the SNES era.

what a nostalgy for the snes’ and also n64 time! i’m really inspired by Rare’s games, i loved banjo kazooie, donkey kong, and also super mario64, when it came out, was fantastic…how many hours a day XD!!

Nostalgy indeed! I fondly remember my cousins and siblings gaming on those systems overnight - some games didn’t have a save function, and if we fell asleep our parents would shut off the system xD

Ah, but Rare! I wonder what they’re up to now, seems to me like I haven’t seen a game from them in what… 20 years? xD

Anyway, at the rate you’re progressing your games will become legendary in their own right :slight_smile:

The programming behind all this must be incredible.

SDF shadows test ( at the moment, there are some unpleasant artifacts on self shadows)

Well this has gotten very, very, very far! Extremely good work lopas!

thank you! I momentarily abandoned the game play development to focus on the rendering system but unfortunately I seem to understand that coded shaders do not support more than 8 sampler2D (textures) and this is limiting me enough, I hope to find a way to avoid this limit, that I honestly do not understand beacuse the shaders made with nodes or otherwise generated using the blender material panel support all 18 texture slots … anyway small update: the puddles !!

Hi! I’m interested in the SDF shadows, did you bake the SDFs into 3D textures? Is a penumbra possible with that method or would it have artifacts caused by the boundary of the 3D textures?

yes i baked them into a 3D textures, and yes, you can play with the penumbra, with this my own method, static objects has no artifacts, while dynamic objects has sometimes a popping shadows/ao artifact when they rotate, but it is not very noticeable and sadly, with this method i currently using, it is unavoidable.
I have temporarily disabled them in the last videos, because I noticed that I can not use more than 8 2Dsamplers per shader, and if I do not find a way to circumvent this limit, adopting SDF shadows / AO forces me to renounce so many other effects I intended to implement in my rendering system