interactive 3d app

(MINNEW) #1

As someone new to Blender and 3d, can someone point me in the right direction regarding the creation of an interactive 3d application (I suppose analagous to “game programming”):

My goal is to create an app in which the user can manipulate a 3d object (rotate, zoom, select parts) for educational purposes, i.e. insect model, and in which lables are shown if desired.

From what I gather, Python is used as a scripting language to control the objects. How is this then compiled into a stand-alone app? Which platforms can be targeted? How does the “game engine” fit into this? Can a 3d object created in blender be exported to, lets say, Flash or other program, to accomplish the same thing?

Sorry for the basic and, possibly irriating, questions.

(jm) #2

as i know you can run stand alone application under win,lin, & other platform like a mac,bsd… but i have experience only with first two.

you schouldn’t compile python scripts they work as they are(python is interpreted language, which means that is compiled when is needed during executing of a program. this is also reason why is slower then compiled languages like C).

Yes,you can export models from blender via some scripts.(to obj,x, etc)

jm

(MINNEW) #3

thanks for the reply…in general terms, what are the steps involved? or can you point me to a good overview tutorial?

much appreciated

(MagicMan) #4

First you have to learn about the game engine so you can make this app. The best place to start might be at http://blender3d.org
To make a runtime (.exe) of your app, you simply click File->Save Runtime. There are people working on scripts written in python to export to Flash, search this forum for them.