Interior Lightining

(Ozbend) #1

Hey, guys. I have a big problem. I want to make beautiful warm lighting. But it turns out very badly. I tried different sources of light, the result is always very bad. I ask for help. I want to achieve lightining, as in the reference. Thanks!

(Filipe Lima Botelho) #2

Hi there

I’m far from being an expert, but one thing you could do is put some hiden spot lights aiming down among those you have hanging in the middle. It gives you an easy way to control the aspect of light on the tables and floor. If you look closely at you reference image, you can see that they have done something like that (altough I can’t really see the influence of them at this image). You can use the “Blackbody” node to control how warm you may want your lights to be. (Usualy around 3000k those in the middle). The candles on the tables also helps on warming the scene, but I don`t know if you intend to use that.

For the “volumetric effect” around the center lights, you may wanna use the “Fog Glow” on the Glare effect of the compositor instead of the Streaks, or you can combine both. Your call really…

Another thing is your image seems a little flat, maybe ambient occlusion a little too strong? Maybe increase contrast at the Color Management menu, can`t really say…

I hope someone with more knowledge in Cycles appears to help you out.

Good work so far.

(Ozbend) #3

You’re right, the picture is flat. Here is the main problem. I did not use ambient occlusion. Yes, I used Filmic. But even with the Standard, the picture is quite flat.

(omgold) #4

I guess the image looks flat, because the lighting is very even. Your reference is much more different between the left an right. And yes, I also think your lights are simply not warm enough in color. Cold light in -> cold light out :grinning:

(Filipe Lima Botelho) #5

maybe you can try this, don`t know if it will work, but may help
as omgold said, the light is quite even.

make the light rays die sooner than they should, so it`s possible to use more intense light to keep the focus on the tables without the light rays bouncing everywhere and lit everything too much.

(Ozbend) #6

Can you share the blend?

(Filipe Lima Botelho) #7

sure

tables_test.blend (680.7 KB)

(sundialsvc4) #8

Use a mixture of colors – so-called “color temperatures,” which are in fact standardized.

Remember that “the apparent light sources in your scene” are called practical lights, and they are not necessarily the true source of light. (Just like in a theater … the actor switches on a lamp, and spotlights high in the loft brighten on-cue.) In fact, I suggest that you first light the scene, using off-stage lighting, then add the practical lights, then finally add off-screen lights to mimic the light that the practicals would have cast.

Even in a real ballroom, you will often find mundane fixtures in the ceiling which provide most of the light, so that the chandeliers don’t have to.

If you tried to rely on “all those light fixtures” to produce the actual lighting in this ballroom, you have created a complex lighting situation that of course would be slow to compute – when you don’t have to. Also, consider using BI renders in tandem with Cycles, compositing the two together. BI is excellent at quickly producing spot lighting such as you see on the tabletops, walls, and signs. Consider giving Cycles a simple lighting situation so it can do what it does best with under-the-table shading and so forth, then use BI to create the spots.