Interior scene

Here’s a scene i’ve been working on. I am very interested in interior design / arch and realism. I recently switched to Luxrender in order to get physically correct lighting.

The first image was rendered for 4 hours, so there isn’t much noise, but i messed up the Luxrender volumes and as you can see the liquid and the glass are overlapping, creating artifacts.

The second image was rendered for a shorter time, but i fixed the volumes and the glass, so there’s no overlapping geometry.

I am using a bump map for the table which i know could be better. Any comments on how this could get better?

One thing i can’t figure out how to do is the top part of the glass.
It’s supposed to be completely round and smooth (and not 9-sided like the rest of the glass).

Any thoughts on how i might go about modelling the top?

Maybe select top vertices that you want to be round instead of 9-sided and spam it with Smooth? Dunno if it does the trick…

Hmm. That doesn’t do much because i have added loop cuts too close to each of the 9 edges to create that sharp edge below…

Loop Tools > Circle.
You may have to add some verts depending on how many you have around that rim. I haven’t used Loop Tools yet so I don’t know if this is what you need… it’s worth a look.

That worked like a charm Dan158!! Thanks.
I didn’t even know that blender came with the loop tools plugin.

Here’s another quick test render of the final result with rounded top.

Another problem i encountered was bridging the inner with the outer loop of the glass. I tried the loop tools > bridge function but while that produced an ok result when rendering, it messed up the geometry a lot.

It did so even though the number of edges on the inner loop matched exactly the number of edges on the outer loop. I ended up selecting each edge couple manually and forming faces.

Once again, thank you for your help m8!!

Dimitris

This is looking really good :slight_smile: Yeah, Loop Tools is great, comes with 2.57 (though at least I had all the plugins disabled by default, so I needed to enable all of them first in the user preferences).

One thing I’d try, is change the lighting a bit, or not so much the lighting, but to fake a bit of realism, like in this tutorial. Though that’s an outdoor lighting tutorial, I think it would work well in an indoor render as well. Make something that looks like a window frame and put it in front of the light for example, to simulate the shadows that the window frames (if that’s what they’re called, the wooden parts anyway) would produce.

Here’s an update, this has been rendering for 48 hours now.
Looking forward to your comments.