Internal Compiler Error in Latest SVN (Linux)?

Is anyone getting an ‘internal compiler error’ when building r36727 under Linux? Not sure if I should submit this to BF or the GCC people or both.

Cmake output:

/home/as/blender-svn/blender/source/blender/editors/space_view3d/view3d_select.c: In function ‘view3d_circle_select_exec’:
/home/as/blender-svn/blender/source/blender/editors/space_view3d/view3d_select.c:2235:12: internal compiler error: in get_constraint_for_component_ref, at tree-ssa-structalias.c:3035

Internal compiler error is something GCC people need to fix. I’m guessing you build with CMake - if you do,make sure you coerce it to give GCC -O2 as optimisation flag, not -O3, as it automatically does. How? I don’t know, it’s CMake - I use SCons :slight_smile: /Nathan

Personally I use cmake-gui for configuring CMake. So sudo apt-get or yum install or whatever to get it, then in your cmake dir:

cmake-gui ../path-to-blender-src-directory

Then change CMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELEASE to -O2 -DNDEBUG.

Ok thanks. I changed the optimization from -O3 to -O2 in several places in the Cmake file and that cured the problem. I’ll submit a bug report to the GNU GCC folks and maybe they can fix things.

So did you file the bug report? the gcc folks said that they didn’t have one in their tracker for it.

No, not yet. Trying to come up with an example that reproduces the problem is time consuming and I’m not sure that I can write one.

EDIT: I’m not a good enough programmer to write code that can crash a compiler. :slight_smile:

I just went and re-read the GCC bug reporting instructions and it looks like I may be able to supply enough info for them. The thing that really stopped me was in providing the pre-processed .i file that caused the problem since I don’t know my way around cmake that well yet. I’ll look at the generated Makefile and see if I can hack it enough to produce that file, etc.

UPDATE: Got all the necessary info, I think. Waiting for email confirmation of my new account on the GCC bug tracker…

UPDATE2: Ok, added the bug report. #49067

I just got an update on this bug: http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=49067

From the bug report:

./source/blender/editors/space_view3d/view3d_select.c:

static inline int armature_circle_doSelectJoint(void *userData)
{
struct {
void *vc;
short select;
int mval[2];
float radius;
} *data = userData;
return (0 <= data->radius && data->select);
}
int armature_circle_select(void)
{ struct {
void *vc;
short select, mval[2];
float radius;
} data;
return armature_circle_doSelectJoint(&data);
}

it's caused by the mismatch of the local struct declarations (might be a bug in your app as well).

So, should this be reported to BF or should we wait?