Interpolation

I know that when you are designing motion, you are counting on a certain amount of interpolation from Blender, to fill in the gaps. I was wondering, how much interpolation is there? I mean, if I wanted a guy to turn into a werewolf, could I utilize Blender interpolation for that process? Or for that matter, what if I wanted a cube to unfold into a car? Could that be interpolated? Just how much would have to be included in between? Do you have to keep the same number of faces, or the same rigging?

Well, I don’t think Blender can interpolate creation of new vertices, edges and faces, so that simply has to be common between initial and resulting mesh. The rest of the unfolding or transformation process is, as I see it, merely a movement of vertices to their planned positions, which can be interpolated.

Is there a way to set how many frames it takes to interpolate from one frame to the next? I could have fun with this.

You set the number of frames based on where you insert keys. You’ll have to guide the interpolation to get it to behave correctly.

For example, say you have a character and you want him to wave. You’d insert a key (rot maybe), then go to another frame, move the arm a bit and insert another key. This is so you don’t have to do something for every frame. I don’t really know to what extent Blender will go. I do know that say you make a guys arm spin in a circle. You can’t have 181 degrees of the swing in between the two keys and expect Blend to swing the right direction. I think it would just take the quickest route to that key, which would be going 169 degrees the other direction.

I hope that mess helps you out. The best way to figure out if you can do something in Blender is not to just ask, but simply to just give it a shot.