Into the Sewer...

Here’s a new image I put together in Blender 2.40 (& rendered with Blender’s native renderer). Dubbed “Into the Sewer”…

This scene uses 100% UV Texture mapping for all surfaces – no procedurals were incorporated. Finished in 2 days…

http://www.jevin.com/graphics/Sewer.jpg

whoa! that looks great! well done :wink:

How long did that take you to model!!?

the modeling doesn’t look too complicated, it’s more the excellent use of materials that gives me the sh-bang.

Althogh, I’m not too fond of the lighting though, I want to see more

it looks like Half Life 2 :slight_smile:

Very nice atmosphere and very nice picture. But you already knew that, so let’s get to the minor things I could find:

• the specularity on the poles is a bit high
  • the texture on the rings at the left is exactly the some on each and every ring. I suspect it’s also the same on the other rings, but it disturbs me on the left rings.
  • the roof on the right: it looks to me like you pressed the nor button one time too often or too little. The stones are depressed while the seams are high. (My English isn’t sufficient to explain it, I hope you grasp the idea of what I’m saying)

It looks great to me. I think the spec is fine. Looks like it’s being illuminated with a flashlight.

Looks more like something out of Thief (VG) to me. Great atmosphere.

The spec looks like that from a high-intensity flashlight.

Which gets me to wondering, has anyone ever done a flashlight beam effect where you have the pinprick, a larger focussed halo surrounding the pinprick and then the diffuse lighting at the edges? If not that might be an interesting experiment to work with.

Tal

groovy videogamish look, splendid, I say 8)

very nice!! if it was in a video-game I think it would fit in very well with oblivion or another next-gen game.

Thanks for the kewl feedback, guyz! I took the sugg 'bout the pipe joint rings to heart and did some rotating of each ring to randomize the texture (they were all dups of a single ring; Crouch’s crit was right on target). Also, re-did the tunnel wall brick texture. The Nor effect wasn’t coming off in the first version as Crouch noted due to the necessity of a much higher-res image map (the new map is about 2600x8000 pixels at 180 DPI). Took about 8 hours to re-generate the new brick map (had to -re-layer all the textures and test, test, test…), but the time was well spent – the new image above has a much richer look with these changes…

I actually tried the flashlight effect Taladan mentioned with an image clip mapped to the light’s alpha & color channel, but I couldn’t see the effect at all – maybe because of the halo effect? Or, maybe just because I’ve got some subtle lighting going on with TONS of textures in the camera view… am gonna play some more and see if I can get this to be more noticable.

Sorry to get you into so much work with a finished project :expressionless:
But on the bright side: the image does indeed look better

The ‘flashlight’-lighting also explains the high specularity and harsh lighting, so I’ll retract my comment about that. It looks good if that is your goal.

Happy blending!

Hey, Crouch – no apologies necessary. Your comments helped make the image a very powerful one, and are greatly appreciated!

With the spec on the pipes, my intention was to create an environment slick with moisture & humidity caught in the beam of a bright flashlight, as noted above (you can see the reflections of the vertical poles in puddles of water on the ledges). The support poles have water dripping down them from the leaky, corroded main transfer pipes. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to touch anything down there…!

Thanks again for the kewl crit!

I like it a lot, but it’s dark. There are large areas in there with absolutely no detail whatsoever in the shadows. I’d try to avoid that.

You can let the details be very faint, very hard to spot, but still be there, and you’ll get that mysterious quality that you’re looking for. But if there are large areas that are featureless, to my old photographer’s eye it looks underexposed.

More than anything, the eye zeroes in on contrast, not absolute light-values. (Really, the eye can’t see “absolutes” at all.) You want the contrast-values to jump sharply from one value to another … so the picture doesn’t seem muddy … but you don’t want much of the total screen space to show RGB(0,0,0).

Actually, I don’t agree with you on this one. There is a very subtle ambient light at work here – in even the darkest areas you can see detail. Increasing the ambient lighting would give an impression that there is another source of light at work here, or the illumination from the flash of a camera-- that I wanted to avoid. If you were to turn off the flashlight, I wanted the viewer to feel that they would be in complete and total blackness – trapped inside a corroding tube of brick and metal, so dark you wouldn’t be able to find your way out again… This is a very dark scene.

Appreciate the comment, though…

okay, i’m impressed. This one conveys the icky feel of an old sewer, like you look down with you flashlight and think, “ick, what am i stepping in?” i like it a lot

8/10

:wink:

Thanks, xr…! 8)