Introduction to networking in Blender Game Engine

Hi everyone!
I recently saw a post asking for help in networking in python.
It read “what do you mean”!
Well, i created a simple introduction Work in Progress, and thought i would share it with you.
As it’s not finished, could anyone who is still “in the dark” in any areas please post and request for addition?
Also do post if anything is wrong!
http://blenderarchive.hostilestudios.com/network/

########revised edition!############
in the new edition, there are demo’s included.
The client script in the demo’s have “setblocking” removed.
This means that if it cant receive a packet after connecting (if server quits) the blender file crashes.
To see if it works for you, add this to the client script, after “GameLogic.host = (ServerIP,Serverport)”:
GameLogic.client.setblocking(0)

i think the link is broken.

i haven’t read it, but just a thing: pdf it! :slight_smile: So i don’t need to use another app in addition to the browser. OOO can do it easily

ok!
i am always revising it, so keep checking back (new version on tonight)

part 2? :slight_smile:

coming soon (maybe tonight)

Part 2 is up, explaining the basics of wsag.
it includes how to send your own data.

########revised edition!############
in the new edition, there are demo’s included.
The client script in the demo’s have “setblocking” removed.
This means that if it cant receive a packet after connecting (if server quits) the blender file crashes.
To see if it works for you, add this to the client script, after “GameLogic.host = (ServerIP,Serverport)”:
GameLogic.client.setblocking(0)

the links are broken :frowning:

I fixed it, OpenOffice added “/” to the end of the link XD
click this link, and then press CTRL + F5 to force refresh (dont press F5, it has to be CTRL+F5)

http://blenderarchive.hostilestudios.com/network/

this is for 2.49b right? if not what version is this for?

i get and error that reads "Attribute error: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘gethostbyname’

thanks

I find this usefull & really hope that you don’t mind uploading it here, so people who can’t get it have it.
that forum will always be online, and you will be able to paint the text etc…

http://open-class.org/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=107

@Kendrick,
I’m getting the feeling (noticing the similarities between your posts) that you haven’t got a complete python install :confused:

it’s for 2.49b

I have no objection, though you may wish to check back here, so that you have the latest updates

ok found out what my python problem was. its somthing that might not have been toataly obvious but its fixed, i had full python installed, but i had the wrong version of blender, i was running blender 32 bit(windows), and python 64 bit, as soon as i downloaded blender 64 bit the problems went away. i just thought id post this here for anyone else having this problem.

Ah! that’s why!
I will be adding dynamic setup here soon.

budump!!! hi, me again, ive been searching everywhere for dynamic setup, any help?

Hi Kendrick.
The current set-up is dynamic. I have made another post which is raw dynamic, an old version which does not handle client disconnects, etc.
My network plugin is dynamic, and rest assured, i WILL make a tutorial!