Inverter amusement park ride, animation help

I am making what is called a CFR(Custom Flat Ride) for a game called Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. The ride I’m recreating is called the Inverter perhaps you’ve seen this before. Anyway I’m having problems getting the animations to work exactly how I want them to. I will start off by showing some pics, and btw I use Blender 2.49b.

Here’s what I need:

First of all I need to be able to record key frames, as this is what the exporter will read.
Secondly armatures are also required.
Action editor must be used, as there are 4 separate actions that need be made. IPO curve editor can be used and so can NLA.

Thing’s I’ve tried:

I tried using bone A with a constraint to control bone B, and set it up to rotate opposite of bone A. This actually worked quite well, but I couldn’t figure out how to record the key frame of bone B while rotating it bone A. Finally I tried using an empty to control the rotations and same as above, I couldn’t figure out how to record key frames using that either.

So I need some advice from someone savvy enough with this type of animation who could possible recommend a viable solution to my problem.

Edit:: I’ve included a trimmed down version of the .blend file as an attachment.
-Thanks!

Attachments

Inverter2.blend (645 KB)

could you post a view from slightly above and at an angle so we can get a better idea of what is occuring in 3 dimensional space?

The best way to get a good rotation is to key a bone, let’s say 45 degrees and then change the extrapolation method. This way it will always rotate a perfect circle continuously at the speed that you have set for the 45 degrees rotation.

Umm well those are the best views to show my problem. Also you can have a look at the blend file if you wish to see for yourself.

This seems very interesting. Could you explain a bit more about changing the extrapolation method, I’ve never heard of this before.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/image.php?u=62724&dateline=1279508037 < --I think this guy means to press SHIFT+E and select linear extrapolation in the graph or IPO editor.

Ok yea I’ve already done that. But to elaborate a bit more on what I am needing to accomplish, just think of 2 gears always spinning together in perfect harmony. The one gear spins, and the other spins in the opposite direction. Is there any way to set up the bones to do this? And keep in mind what I posted originally.

to elaborate a bit more on what I am needing to accomplish, just think of 2 gears always spinning together in perfect harmony. The one gear spins, and the other spins in the opposite direction. Is there any way to set up the bones to do this? And keep in mind what I posted originally.
That sounds like a good application for a driver or an inverted copy rotation constraint.

However, that’s not how I modified your blend. I’m not sure if this is what you were aiming for , but I turned off “inherit rotation” for the bottom joint (and deleted it’s keyframes) and it looks a lot nicer - the carriage stays level at all times :slight_smile:

btw, the blend file is a 2.54 blend.
If you’re using 2.49 , the “hinge” button does the same thing.

Attachments

ride.blend (724 KB)

aww, it’s been a week, and still no thank you… *sigh * :stuck_out_tongue:
-amdbcg

Sorry for the late reply, but I kinda gave this a rest for a while and haven’t been back since. So thank you! :slight_smile:

Anyway, I started up on this project again. And once again I need a little help. I am trying to add the copy rotation constraint. However for some reason the constraint stays “red” and it doesn’t take. I’ve tried adding the constraint to both the main and lower bone with no success. Is there something that I’m doing wrong?

Ok well i managed to get it to work to some degree. But here’s another problem. I need the carriage part to rotate opposite of the arm part. So I set the constraint to -y. Well the rotation works beautifully, but the carriage ends up being upside down and away from it’s starting position. So once again I’m stuck.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/Jason--Weber/Edited%20photos/constraint.jpg

well , I would change the original rotation of the armature and see if that fixes it (go into edit mode and rotate the armature 90 degrees or so and see what happens)

another option is to make an offset bone, set it’s copy rotation constraint and parent your ride to the offset bone: essentially making a middle man between the ride and the copy constraint.