IOU - fixed camera prerendered deremake

Anyone home?

First environment blood drops I’ve made for the game :smiley:
Worst counter-top ever though.

Got this plant from Dennis H. (amazing artist)

I love the architecture, and the fixed viewpoints will make it easier to implement some kind of level of detail or culling system. Most people who actually play the blender games do it because they have an old computer (or a mac) that doesn’t allow them to play modern high end games, so you may have to make allowances for those people.

Something I thought of and I haven’t done any research on this part, should I rig in blender since this is now Unity engine project? Can the rig and its data be carried into unity or should I rig in Unity?

Concept Art #4 is ready here ya go. Me zooming around in Lodge solid view, and a bunch of pictures (plus a funny juggalo story…) My next focus world model wise will be the 2F Halls and rooms, Outdoor Deli and the Lodge’s Lobby.

U can export rigs and animations into unity :stuck_out_tongue: i think its fbx u gotta use :slight_smile: u can also edit the animations in unity, and make new ones.

Great Idea :yes:. Why do i play the same old Resident Evil 1-2-3 again and again ? The same reason your making this game. :stuck_out_tongue:
Can’t wait.

Ok thanks Firehead, I was kinda assuming it would be that easy (:

Welcome to the forums Evil Resident.

Some notes on the main character, Stu. He suffers from a sleeping condition known as Parasomnia. He has a hard time telling dreams from reality, perfect for a zombie apocalypse. I swear I’m not stealing your idea FireHead… Stu is based on Olliee the main character from my cartoon project.

Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well.
Update Post.

We might have a website blog soon thanks to XeVe. Emery says he’ll start devoting more time towards this project of mine. Going to speak with Emery this week on skype. Dear, anon C# programmer reading this, you are welcome to join us. Also I asked another person to oversee/consult the puzzles and storyline side of the project, more on that later if she gets back to me.

I’ve organized my story/progression notes into 4+ pages of storyline. I’m finally ready to sit down and start smashing pages out daily. The way I’m writing the script it should be easy for the programmers to read and play along with. Much like a strategy guide or walk-through guide (:

W.I.P. PICS ~

Resident Evil’s Alternate Universe. You have once again stepped into the world of the survival horror, again.

If you are going to have fixed viewpoints, have you though about pre-rendering your scenes?
One of the problems many people have when making games for Blender is that you have to make object very low poly and not have too many on screen at the same time. Using pre-rendered backgrounds is something that most of the early resident evil games did because they have the same problem, lack of rendering ability.

Here’s a proof of concept game that I did a few years back when iw as considering the same thing (I had an old laptop without a video card):

The good thing about pre-rendered views is that you can include loads of details, lots of trash and detailed things like cloth and curved items. The bad thing is that sometimes it’s obvious that youa re using pre-rendered viewpoints. The really good thing about them is that they run super fast, and you don’t have to spend so much time optimizing your scenes, making duplicate objects for your level of detail system.

The above game was going to be a resident evil survivial horror type game, but reworked to be more like a point and click adventure.

Right you are and cool video, that’s exactly what I’m after.

I’m very adamant about keeping this pre-rendered for many reasons.
1- it seems like a good idea, separates the art and code side of things. My other game projects ideas will work better using standard 3d game worlds.
2- No worrying about poly count as all the detail is rendered into a BG image with 1 face and 4 verts, the game world (what the bullet shells and what not bounce off of) is rendered invisible and is extremely low poly.
3- Keeps the artistic feel. Games like Donkey Kong Country, PS1 Final Fantasy and Resident Evil, Alone in the Dark, even N64 Ocarina of Time had some pre-rendered backgrounds.
4-I really disliked the look of Resident Evil Code Veronica and that game used your standard fully 3d worlds and moving cameras.

For example I would exclude these pillars from the image render in the future, and re-add the 3d model into the game engine world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
Some RE2 dev videos, showing Leon appearing in front of many objects heh heh
Really loving this pet project of mine.

long video

And I’ve started using cycles engine. Another reason to keep this pre-rendered haha. Nothing to share cycles wise yet. But woworz is cycles awesome and it will help immensely with the outdoor and daylight areas. But I still have faith for what BI can do for this project.

And I cannot wait to get my hands on Blender 2.66.

I was watching a LP of someone playing RE1 (I’m more of a fan of the remastered Gamecube version of RE1)
RE2 and 3 still look great to this day in my opinion. But Playstation RE1 there’s times that are laughable in which the scale of the some of the rooms and doors in relation to the 3D character models. That’s something I’ll watch out for.

Yes, you’ll have to take care that you seperate any foreground objects so that they don’t render behind your character. Then you’ll just need to have one or more planes in front of the camera, one with the background and one with an alpha masked foreground.

The RE2 video you posted above seems to have some problems with the z distance of the foreground planes, or maybe they aren’t being rendered at all. I had a version of RE3 that had been ported to the PC and the rendering was terrible, things often rendered behind the character and even the characters limbs were sometimes visible behind their body.

That’s something you have to be careful of.

For the cameras I would consider adding boxes to the floor in walkable areas with a collision trigger to activate the camera when the player moves inside the box.

If you can use python it will be much easier as you can give each camera a prominence value and then check if the player object is within the viewing cone of each camera, then switch to the camer with the highest prominence, or use a code to find the nearest camera.

Here’s some code which would be useful:
http://www.tutorialsforblender3d.com/GameModule/ClassKX_Camera_12.html

Thanks for the tip. I’ll show that to the team.

Improved lights here. Applied the array on the front steps so the textures look better.

And some more angles

the work your putting into this is amazing :slight_smile:

cant wait to see this game completed

you just inspired me to make a game even more so thanks

Hey hey!!! This vision is really shaping up to an interesting game!!! cant wait to play it!!!

Hey, Thanks for the comments. I think I’ve worked roughly 12 straight hours today. Give or take with some breaks here and there. So… staying busy.

• I haven’t written as much story as I wanted this week but I have done more organizing. My notes I take on life in general and other stupid stuff I write down is 92 pages - Which I draw a great deal from for this project. The story DUMP doc for IOU is 46 pages. Another overview doc full of wishlists, reminders, concepts, puzzle ideas, random facts about Resident Evil and survival horror, quotes, direction, definitions, 18 pages. And the new story doc is 8 pages of canon storyline.

• Removed a lot of useless high poly geometry and added some new things. Overall lots of cleaning up the last few days.

• Reorganized my blender layers to make future editing in new areas run smoother and quicker.

• Ordered my camera frame binds into a somewhat chronological order. Before this reorganizing mission it was a complete mess and sometimes I would spend 30+seconds trying to find a certain camera shot, fixed! Now I can blindly click and jump to the correct area.

• I also added a TON of new frames to start detailing… to give you an idea of the total now… and this is just main world .blend. There are other .blends

My thoughts on this? I pat myself on the back. Still a long way to go, guys and gals. Still a long way to go. But its really refreshing to work on it having it this organized. I should of done this months ago.

Cameras invading my scene. Camera placement is extremely important to this genre. So I thought I better marathon and add a bunch at the same time. Lots of dramatic shots were added.

Merged a separate .blend project into the main world .blend (dark green area)

• Updated the front facing wall of the Lodge HUB. Before there was LARGE window. Giving off the sense that the Lodge belonged on a ocean beach or something. Fixed. The large window is still there in most of its entirety, but this new overhang hides it.

Anyone got any good horror themed text fonts recommendations? Nothing too over the top and scary looking but I need something that speaks: “bad shit is happening to you and everyone around you. Hide in the closet with the shotgun and eat snickers” Something along those lines.

• Some new freezer renders :OOOOOOooooOOOOOooOOOOOOOOO.
    Added some additional space to the walk-in freezer and updated textures a bit. Not finished.

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/dREAD433/dREAD%202/F--_zps25c37ac0.png

it looks absolutely fantastic, my good sir.
I am currently making my own indie horror game, though not survival, and this makes my work look terrible in comparison.
Good job.

Keep at it, What Name. Scale is everything :wink: And thanks.

MEGA POST FEB. II

ok peoples.

• Added 200+ new cameras to the forest.
    This many - Frames 700-???

^ (see timeline, I’ve awarded frames to cameras, with all these new frames locked in, I’m ready to start modeling some of the other major areas)
    ^ A rough math count I’m imagining the full game consisting of 1200~ pre-rendered backgrounds. If the average image is 3MB+ that adds up to 5GB pretty fast. I should know the exact # range of backgrounds in a few weeks. At this time around 300 frames are worthy to be called Placeholder. Some of which are well over 50% complete.

I made some new walkways over here. And along with modeling some sidewalks… came a new idea.
It also serves as the first time I felt like a game designer during this project. hehehehehehehehehehehehe.

INTRODUCTION: the zombie hole spawns: Where else could they show up? Play the game when it never comes out.

HOST CABIN. This is a building you explore much later in the game. You bet your ass it has locked doors and puzzles just to get inside the bathroom to do your outbreak business.

Battle Royal?

This one is… I like this angle.

An assortment of guns I downloaded after browsing blend swap for about 16 minutes. You guys are awesome. Any and all credits will be credited in the game. From the looks of it, everything is here except for a shotgun model I have in mind. I could easily set aside a day and make that shotgun. The rest is here! I would like to create all my weapons myself. But finding these kinds of goodies is a stress relief for now.

Rounded off the road