IOU - fixed camera prerendered deremake

Here’s a shot from Resident Evil Zero. As you can see (or can’t see cause the camera quality) trying to hide a 3D model in front of background… it’s like hiding a elephant in a empty room. That’s why I said it doesn’t concern me that much. It’ll look odd no matter what. The game is primary a puzzle/exploration game. Combat and conventional means come 2nd.

But it does look pretty good. We will shoot for the best we can.

Really impressed by your project. I’m impatient to try out your game.

Thanks @Evil_Resident. So haven’t posted any videos in a while so here’s part 9 on my art series. And I never posted part 8 so here’s that too.

This one is a few days old.

This one is from January.

So I’m nearly done with ‘trail 2’. From there I need to texture the ranger station building. And make ‘trail 3’. Then I can move onto the lodge and basements or the cabin loop. But anyway once these two trails are done I will be much closer to being completed. I’m aiming to be 80% done with environment artwork by June. Which is still possible! Maybe.

whoa, first timie visit here. that looked awesome :0

Well. Been working hard on the world art. It’s coming together in cycles nicely. Really enjoying the new b2.70 fly cam gravity WASD thing. I’ve made several sweaps through the world using the fly/walk cam fixing object proportions*. Don’t get me wrong lots of sizes were already somewhat correct but that first person view really helps expose the obvious mistakes you otherwise don’t see so easily. Typically, I find objects are too short/small when modeled originally.

In June we will have more to show, until then I’ll bump the thread every month around this time with more artwork placeholder.

Lots of renders… it’s a lot of pictures: Get that scroll wheel ready!

Love the shadows here (:

Here’s one example of the size edits I’ve been making. This bar looks like a kids table. No good.

Fixed

Did I mention I enjoy cycles noise corruption?

Looking good, however how optimized will this be ?
500k faces for a level is pretty high, my headroom
is at least 100k before Enemies/Character.

Thanks. When you say optimized you mean at game runtime yes? Cause this blender world seen here is only for the backgrounds. The game world bounds/characters are in unity engine and will be very light in poly.

With all detail on the prerendered valley world is 3 million verts! But when I render a background frame its somewhere between 25,000-800,000 verts. The level of detail I wanna to achieve requires such.

Some more views on the lobby. The entire world is becoming too pretty. It’s hard to advance when its looking so pretty but I know I can push it even further. The new goal to start beating things up more and make the place more lived in.

Once I get everything to a certain level of quality and progress I’ll be able to simplify many of the render vistas with backgrounds (prerendered inception) and that will lower verts and render times by a lot. But the world still needs more foliage and overall progress before I do that.

Some new prerender placeholders made in the last few weeks.

Update on the project:

Zombies and other animations are underway by VikoryVD. And he said he’ll move onto A.I. after that.
Vexe (the main programmer) is about to release some of his code for more bug testing. He plans on selling them as unity assets. Separate products, some of this money will go towards funding iou)
-Brought on another artist. You can see her real life paintings on the walls in a render below.
-Renders and world environments are getting closer to being somewhat complete.
-My deadline is around end of July to end phase 1 of development. I’m ushering the rest of the team to join me in this deadline of sorts :wink:
-I drew some quick storyboards drafts for a few of the cutscenes. Hadi is doing the 2nd drafts for the storyboards.
-What else? Lots.

http://i.imgur.com/6hXiRPg.png

http://i.imgur.com/0wVbTas.png

i think you have way to much bump on your objects… consider your self consulted(that doesnt really work there lol)

I’ll look into these ‘bump’ you speak of. First I’ve heard of it.

Hey blender. Some recent cycles renders.

Still working towards an end of July deadline of being 80% with world artwork. I’ve made enormous progress over the last 6 months. One programmer said despite the geometry and world remaining the relatively the same… the renders themselves look like a completely different artist is at work. So I really want to thank the people who have brought blender cycles this far.

The renders are noisey, yes, I love making them noisey. Not here to please the know how, It’s here to please gamers and they don’t care about the details. They just want something interesting to look at.

Some changes here. Looking better.

http://i.imgur.com/5puiRbj.png

wow i like the graphics of your game.
looks like a lot of work for a 1 man game.
nice work , cant wait to play it.

Thanks. While I am doing a lot for this project. It’s in no way a 1 man game.
Team consists of around 3-5 people.
Full credits:

• (FoundationofPause): Director, concepts, game design, models & textures, world & story, sound, geometry wars, animation, storyboard drafts

• (Viktory VD): concepts & design, code, animation, textures, rigging, models

• (Vexe Elxenoanizd): lead programmer, code modeler, game concepts, game design, internal mechanics and features, problem solver, chief-consultant

• (Jesse B): 2d artist, project consultant

• (Francis): primary consultant

• (Alex Lewis): project consultant, puzzles, 2d artist

• (Skirsdag Hyulta): Music - OST

• (Hadi): 2d artist, storyboards, project consultant

• (Joanne “JoKat” Kathleen): voice work

• (Gabby Staples): 2D artist / additional textures

• (Omar Habash): project consultant

• (Chris “Clunk” Cobb - Tripple C - TC - CIII): character rig & animation - networking, code

• (Steven O): world and puzzle-consultant

• (Reem): writer / story / puzzles

• (manymany textures): cgtextures.com

• (additional models): blendswap.com
    Lekanus - interstuhl silver office chair
    veti - Lowpoly RPG 7
    TheCaveman1113 - Low Poly Tropic Plant
    Quandtum - blender soap bottle
    ScoutingNinja - high voltage transformers
    CopperStache - overhead light fixtures

I’ve also been scaling back where I can while expanding other areas. The final level has gotten much cooler (larger) in the last month or so. It’s still the same idea but now it feels much more a part of the game rather than just “the boss area”. Resident Evil never tried what that area will do. Or what this game will do.

I’m still not sure how long this game will be but its easily over the 2 hour mark at this point. First time plays could go over 8 hours. Chris and Vexe want to make some shorter projects in the meantime, since IOU is so huge of an idea. One idea I’ve been pushing for is a top down shooter like Geometry Wars.

No promises but I will try and aim to show some form of game play by the year’s end. Time really flies so that will be here in no time I assure you.

Some latest placeholder backgrounds. The last few weeks I’ve refocused progress on VIP rooms. A few weeks ago only Stu’s room was started and his room was started way back in August 2012 when I joined this site.

So I’ve updated and cleaned up the polys for his VIP room. And I’ve started the rest of the rooms the building holds, finally.

http://i.imgur.com/C7Vhi2e.png

http://i.imgur.com/TwNStw1.png

http://i.imgur.com/Ak4xrYg.png

http://i.imgur.com/W8LQy9k.png

I’ve made a great deal of progress this year in terms of story, environment art, and game design doc (currently has hit 10,000 words) Although I’m not sure I will reach the 80% environment goal. At some point I might bring on a few more 3D artists to help complete some areas I’m still ignoring for now. If that interests you and you enjoy my artwork, let me know if wanna work on some interiors. I could send you the shell and some loose guidelines and let you take it from there. :wink:

I’ll update again next month.

OMG how did I miss this project earlier O.o

I’ve been making my own project which has similar starting points but totally different results. :slight_smile: I’m not going for prerendered though, I’m doing things more in RE:Veronica style so with 3D geometry and baked+realtime lighting mix. I’m doing “tank controls” but as an alternative also offering support for joystick control and thirdperson. My puzzles will be different from the usual (like RE) and I think too hard ATM :smiley: Working solo so far, scaling things way way down in resolution so I can actually have a good length and meaningful story.

Many say that the genre is outdated but I don’t believe it, at least I’ve met an entire crowd of people that dislike the current RE and crave for the old system. It’s just so frustrating, once you’ve played RE, SH and Dino Crisis games there’s nothing left to play. Strategic cinematic shooter can still make it this day and age.

Impressive team you’ve got and nice results. How’s the gameplay, I don’t see much in your videos? Definitely keeping tabs on your project anyway!

Sounds cool. While I do enjoy returning to RE:Code V. It’s usually only after a long marathon of playing the other RE games.

That is what ignited my interest in game design. If you were to ask me what I wanted to do with my life during 1999-2002 I would of said game design or game artwork. As years went on that became a pipe dream.

Once I fully discovered Capcom efforts (or lack of) I decided this was the opportunity I’ve been waiting for. And its better than waiting around for another. While I won’t ever get to fully enjoy the iou project as a ‘player’. Putting the hours in and making this game for others is almost like playing the series all over again. That’s what I want to inject into the game. Over the years RE players and speedrunners alike have become so accustomed to their personal strategy and know how of the games. Much of the challenge is gone. They’re are still fun but all the secrets, failures and monsters have been figured out. Having a brand new game full of pits and surprises will turn that upside down. The game’s structure will also be a little more open and free compared to RE2 but still linear in many ways.

This is a learning project first and foremost. Most of us, except for Chris, have never made or finished any games before. If this game works out expect even more genres from us (:

The gameplay isn’t exactly my department, the tools are still being made. Once those are made I will start spending much more time in Unity. I’m giving them all the time they need. (edit: and besides my artwork is just now becoming something I’m comfortable with selling) I’m ushering to something show soon though. Vexe and Chris are working together on projects now. IOU being one of them. Vexe says anything he scripts he programs it with IOU in mind. And since money is tight I might consider doing some crowdfunding next year.

Oh and here’s some designs Hadi made for Main character Emma (:
Now this is one legitimate WIP thread. Nudity.

What do you think about baking cycles textures for the project?