iPod nano Vs. Creative Zen MicroPhoto

In search for the perfect MP3 player, I have narrowed it down to two:

iPod Nano

Creative Zen MicroPhoto

I still haven’t decided which one I want. Maybe you guys can help. Below I listed the pros and cons of each to help me decide.

iPod Nano:

Pros: Ultra sexy, light/small, flash based memory, color screen, and lots of add on hardware and support.

Cons: Having to use iTunes, no FM radio or voice recording, headphone jack on bottom of player.

Creative Zen MicroPhoto:

Pros: Lots of sweet colors, more memory, built in radio and voice recorder, color screen, feedback eliminator, and small size.

Cons: Bigger than Nano, less avalible outside add-ons.

What should I buy and why?

TraceR

There’s a winamp plugin for iPod support, so you don’t have to use iTunes (I’ve heard it actually works better using the plugin than iTunes directly).

On Linux, amarok has good iPod support too (apparently).

Martin

neither, get a mobiblu dah-1500i, 1gb, $130, fm radio, screen, 1inch cube, very cool.

I’ve seen that. Pretty sweet. Not really my thing though. I like small, but at a certain point, it can actually get too small. I would lose something like that.

Thanks for the info Martin, I am glad it can be used with Winamp. Where exactly can I find that plugin?

I use Musicmatch Jukebox for my main player right now I and I really like it.

get the zen.

i have only heard bad news about Ipods of recent times.

I don’t think itunes is a bad thing. Also, like theeth said, there’s other compatible software. The lack of FM radio and voice recording isn’t that great but would you really use those features? I also don’t think the jack on the bottom is bad. I would have said that’s a good thing because the cable doesn’t get in the way when you hold it. Also when you put it in your pocket upside down, it will come out the right way.

Also remember that the nano has a 14 hour battery life and charges to 80% in just 3 hours.

Ultimately, my advice is don’t get the zen, I heard lots of bad things about them. Some hard drives going dead within a month. Bad customer service. The microphoto looks horrible too in all the pictures I’ve seen but I think you said it comes in different colours. I think the zen sleek looks pretty nice though.

Plus it lacks all the support that the ipod has. Answer me this, if there’s a pretty girl standing next to you and she wants you bad but her deciding factor is on what mp3 player you have, will you look cooler saying you have an ipod nano or a creative zen microphoto?

When you say the former, she will conjure up images of Robin Williams from Mork & Mindy. When you say the latter, she will think of some spaced-out environmentalist geek in touch with his ying-yang. Admittedly not much to choose between but still the ipod is better. If for nothing more than the size and quality.

I would never consider spending so much money on an MP3 player with a HDD. One drop and you could lose your entire collection.

in my experience, i have a zen xtra and my sister has an ipod mini. i find that the zen has a more intuitive way of adding music. just drag it into the zen folder…but the ipod mini, u have to do it through itunes. i’m not sure if u can drag and drop into the mini. i tried, but it doesn’t work…so it’s very inconvenient if u wanted to goto a friends house and grab some of his/her mp3’s. but that’s not legal, so don’t do it. but theoretically if that were to happen, the ipod would erase ur friends playlist, and urs as well. with the zen, just drag and drop. easy like cheezy. but i dunno how those two newer mp3 players work. so yeah. and that’s it. that’s all i have to say. for now. yeah!

ROFL

hehe, well put osxrules! Of course, you’ld then be obliged to buy every new ipod ever just so that she didnt dump you…

I would go with the creative player, but thats because I only use wmp so I would get a player that can sync properly (I like things that just work). Ditto about the zen sleek. The nano does look very nice though…

btw have you looked at iRiver? my bro has one and they are pretty good

http://www.machrone.net/mt/ has a lot of good data on the audio reproduction of various players and sets of headphones. The Nano does rather well in the tests.

Ahh yes, that is very true my friend. :stuck_out_tongue:

oohh, I get free laser ingraving with the iPod. I have to admit it looks a lot sexier than the Zen. Free engraving is awesome.

waste your money on somthing else!

:smiley:

Yeah, I think that’s cool too but consider the resale value after engraving. I don’t think you’d ever want to sell it again but fewer people will want to buy it from you if someone else’s name is on it.

But then it does save it getting mixed up with other peoples’ ipods. Unless they have the same name as you and got theirs engraved of course.

I work daily with Apple stuff, and a bad thing about them is, use Apple or use nothing. Which means, you have something of Apple? Well they make you to use Itunes, Iphoto as well to store audio and photo’s Nothing else is supported. Another example, I downloaded quicktime, it says you want itunes as well? I unchecked it and got itunes with no reason. Mmmhh ok

Besides that, the batterypack of Ipods sucks bumm. You can’t replace it yourself, which means you have to go to an apple store to replace and not saying in the manual: It’s easy to replace your batterypack, just pay $xx which is ofcourse again a special " I could have known " Apple price.

Then when I asked a friend, hey dude can I listen music? He said no it’s empty. Ooh that’s easy plug it into that electricity course. Euh … he said " I can’t it can only charge on usb " :-? WT… lol How do you charge it on holidays then? ok I could have know “the special way how to charge it promoted by apple”

Now I’m a guy if I have an holiday I don’t take a laptop with me, so I want a non usb charge stuff, ofcourse it’s handy as well, so Zen would be a good deal for me.

And btw, I just hate Apple, it becomming something like Microsoft, “Use this or nothing else” “we offer help with special I could have know prices based on oure company succes”
Anyways Apple stuff look cool, looks trendy, but you pay for it’s trademark and everything that’s cool, but does quality come with it? That something which is bothering me with all the Apple stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here some things:
Ipod:

• usb charge, ok something else also available?
  • slideshow, psd file (mac only) ok I have psd files, but pc :slight_smile: I dont have a mac
  • 12 hours Nah 15 hours it little more :wink:
  • 4gig, why that if I can get with same money 8 gig?
    Zen:
  • Music collection only? Nah I like the radio as well :slight_smile:
  • Voice recording, Ha cool, not know if I will use it but ok
  • Replaceable battery package, aah I like that, being able to service your own machine

I’m using WinAmp to manage my music collction. There’s apparently also an other app called MusicMatch that supports the iPod.

Besides that, the batterypack of Ipods sucks bumm. You can’t replace it yourself, which means you have to go to an apple store to replace and not saying in the manual: It’s easy to replace your batterypack, just pay $xx which is ofcourse again a special " I could have known " Apple price.

Okay, it used to be true with the 3rd generation iPods that the battery pack did kind of suck, but with the new models the battery life is doubled. There are kits available so you can change the battery yourself if you wish, though it’s kind of tricky getting an iPod open without scratching up that lovely finish.

Then when I asked a friend, hey dude can I listen music? He said no it’s empty. Ooh that’s easy plug it into that electricity course. Euh … he said " I can’t it can only charge on usb " :-? WT… lol How do you charge it on holidays then? ok I could have know “the special way how to charge it promoted by apple”

Did he own an iPod Shuffle? Because none of the “proper” iPods I know of have that problem. I can charge my iPod Photo from USB, FireWire or via the mains with the charger. It’s true that the Nano doesn’t actually come with the charger but you can buy one if you need it.

I think a lot of that is to do with preventing illegal filesharing. If they supported any old piece of software, there’s no reason why someone couldn’t write a P2P playlist uploader.

It could be to help prevent users picking the wrong type of battery or using 3rd party brands that might damage the player. From a warranty perspective it makes sense.

Or you can get this:

There’s also a car charger specially for ipods:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerpod/index.php

I find that Apple are quite supporting of open industry standards for most things. They even accept things like Microsoft Word format as a standard and their built-in text editor supports the format.

Linking hardware to software is usually more about compatibility issues than forcing you to use a certain product.

I’m not sure how to make a Mac only psd. I thought that was an open standard. Anyway, it’s unlikely that you will have your photo collection as PSDs. You get the choice of JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF and PNG, which is enough. I don’t think mp3 players are all that good for showing slideshows - more for just storing them.

Because the 8GB Zen is a HD and the 4GB nano is flash. The nano is more reliable.

Yeah, the nano really should have come with a radio receiver at least. But you have to make sacrifices for size, style and price. Also adding more features means more features that can go wrong.

Grr… I have a feeling this is going to be a controversial thread by the time its done. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know the Zen has more space, but I don’t need all that. I learned that the hard way when I bought the Dell DJ with 15 GB of space. I am using around 1 G of that now. If I get the iPod I would probably only get the 2G version anyway.

I think I remember seeing a addon FM reciever for the iPod. Is there something like that I could buy if I wanted FM support? Having a radio isn’t too big a deal since I already have a standalone portable FM radio.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/comments/griffin-ifm-radio-remote-and-recorder-for-ipod-ipod/

Personally I wish I had the money for either so if the thread author is willing to loan me the money for one or the other then I’ll consider voting.

Heck, why not try both?