IronHeart Armor

I always see such good advice here so I thought I would stop being frustrated with this and ask some questions.
I can’t figure how to make decent knuckles or other details on the hands. A lot of problems with the hands I suppose. It seems like whenever I subdivide or add to an area it is getting artifacts and strange edges, especially after the bones are moved. Also, what can anyone suggest for some of the problematic details and stuff that looks like it’s floating or sticking through the faces. I have heard reference to “bump maps” as a solution but havn’t noticed the interface for that yet.

http://dethmetal.com/private/ironheart/original_ironheart.png

http://dethmetal.com/private/ironheart/darker_ironheart.png

Let me know if you cant see PNGs or something.

Oh my god…this is freakin awesome! I love the details :smiley: I think your hands look pretty good but they need some work. You could make them more robotic, add some small details, make them a little less longated. Give them a squarish base possibly. You could model the inside of that hole :expressionless: Its distracting, lol. Keep it up, this is looking great :smiley:

As far as artifacts, all I can reccomend is cleaning up your mesh as well as possible - through reworking faces and such, deleting unneeded verticies, making sure you have good lines, and then make sure you’ve, in edit mode (though I assume you already know this) selected all of your verticies and hit control-n, which recalculates the normals - this often fixes odd artifacts associated with smoothing and subsurface meshes. Also, bumpmapping refers to the use of a texture, image or procedural, to “bump” the normals of your mesh to the texture. It is achieved by affecting the “nor” channel. Good luck! Let us know when you’ve made progress! It is looking wonderful!

don’t know how to fix the problems but that is an awesome model!
I think the hands look great, don’t really need to be changed or improved

Whoa, detail is incredible, could we maybe see a close up of the hand or wire mesh of it to offer more help. Here’s a good link for the back of the hand, I’m sure you can modify it to be thicker to fit your size.

http://www.3dluvr.com/syomka/anna/wires/wireannabackofthehand.jpg

GREAT model. It’s looking cool 8)

hey that looks really nice, reminds me of the characters they had on power rangers, or the old transformer shows, i like it!

What an awesome work there man! It’s jst impressing the hugeness you gave that character!! I only have one question: I see the model as if it were texturized in some way that it looks like it were old. Have you texturized it? Or is it some troubles with subsurfing? If that’s the point, i would suggest you to select the vertices and hit ‘smooth’ (not ‘set smooth’), in this way you assure the vertices are distributed in a smooth line, no matter how good you aligned them. I did that for my modelling and helped…
But anyway, this actually looks so good for me!!

You could make them more robotic, add some small details, make them a little less longated. Give them a squarish base possibly. You could model the inside of that hole Its distracting, lol. Keep it up, this is looking great

yeah they are kinda square it’s just the low polys that make them like clay. And that hole, yeah I guess having a toilet seat in the stomach isn’t very impressive.

It is achieved by affecting the “nor” channel. Good luck! Let us know when you’ve made progress! It is looking wonderful!

Yeah I think it’ can also be the disp option? That takes a really high subsurf value huh.

Here’s a good link for the back of the hand, I’m sure you can modify it to be thicker to fit your size.

http://www.3dluvr.com/syomka/anna/wires/wireannabackofthehand.jpg

Thanks, dam that looks complex.

…power rangers…

WHAT?! Yeah probably true…

I see the model as if it were texturized in some way that it looks like it were old. Have you texturized it? Or is it some troubles with subsurfing? If that’s the point, i would suggest you to select the vertices and hit ‘smooth’ (not ‘set smooth’), in this way you assure the vertices are distributed in a smooth line, no matter how good you aligned them. I did that for my modelling and helped…

No textures. The problems are mostly a lack of vertices and some sloppy weight painting and stuff.

Thanks all I will work on it and post again.

Amazing detail. If I wasn’t so anti power rangers I’d love it! :wink: instead, I just really really like it. Once again, stellar work.

didnt mean it as an insult, i really like the power rangers evil characters, i thought they were very well designed, the acting of the actors was ultra phoney but the artists behind the costum department were great, and i also said transformers if you notice, it was a good compliment dont take it the wrong way, your work is really nice

http://dethmetal.com/private/ironheart/crapy_ironheart.png
What do ya think? I don’t know about this version, it’s hard to decide what I want do with it.

Wow, cool model ! :o
I don’t like the big yellow source of energy (that one who is in the middle of your model). For materials, it needs some improvements…maybe some more reflective materials :wink:

[>] Good Work !

OK maybe a different color, thanks.