Irritating facts about Blender 2.5x (with video comparison on page 4)

I don’t know who is responsible of 2.5 known issues/todos section of the wiki.
But I think it should be updated to 2.6 targets.
I like Psy-Fy mention <<in onion branch.>>
I would like to see other template mention of that kind.
_long term complicated problem
_simple but less priority than current owner’s work
_better in new tool developped in this branch
_accepted as a target for this branch

I think it will be useful for users to know which branch they have to help to see their workflow coming back complete.

Hello blenderheads,

thanks to this tread i finally found how to disable the visibility of the desired curves in the curve editor, next to the window of the curve editor, where the curves are on the direct left you have the overview of your animated objects it has the name of the animated object and the action like cubeaction and below that you have like an arrow/pyramid pointing down, which by clicking on that you get a dropdown menu of the different axes, or of scaling or rotating and there you can click on the coloured box to disable the view those curves. this is probably newby stuff but still happy i found it

The first thing to do is check here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.5/Source/Development/Todo

You will find things like this there:

Mesh Editing

2.5 targets

• Copy menu needs ported over (copy texface properties, UVs, etc. Either this, or via RNA.
  • Knife & loopcut
    [LIST]
  • Knifecut midpoints
  • Knife tool straight cut by pressing MMB.
  • Knifecut snap to vertices.
  • Knife/loop cut need to work properly with operator properties/redo
  • Loopcut - Can’t set Smooth value by pressing S while selecting the cut. Can`t switch between Percentage slide and Non Prop Lenght slide by pressing P neither press F in Non Prop Lenght slide to flip control side.
  • Restore Quad Corner Cut Methods (Innervert, Fan and Path) for Subdivisions and Knifecut

[/LIST]

If it’s not there, poke a dev on irc and ask them to add it to the list.

Some things, like features working better in 2.49, should be reported as bugs. The layer one already has confirmation.

Here’s another one: It seems really difficult to make layer keys in 2.5 compared to 2.49. It’s twice as much work, and way more confusing.
(edit) also, making exact knife cuts by clicking multiple points as in 2.49 doesn’t seem to work.
(edit) also, no backbuffer image

(jay) - as far as I’m concerned development of 2.5 is done and non of these features were added.

I agree with a bunch of these, but hopefully these features will come back as the developers devote time to optimizing the way 2.6 does stuff. As for:

1. all the tools and options take too much space; default font size is definitely too large

I find that changing the DPI to 67 in the systems tab (User Preferences), is much nicer then the default of 72.

Agree with a lot of these. The network issue is especially puzzling. (Maybe it’s time to launch the native file browser, eh?)

However the complaints about shortcut keys should be dropped from the list. You can change shortcuts. I don’t like the default layout, so I don’t use it.

I hate constant scrolling. I agree with the “take too much space” in the tools panel. The devs need to introduced back icons in groups where they are needed. Add them as addons so we don’t have to hear other folks screaming “I don’t want icons!”

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19059&highlight=

Note: Please ignore the icons on the top side. Those were suggested by another user, which I don’t agree with. I was suggesting something like this.

I say just make the toolbar editable, I access half the functionality in it via keyboard.

That’s the point. We use shortcuts most of the time, yet they take almost half of the whole panel. We use the tool options, which we have to put numbers in.

I 100% percent agree with converting the toolbar into icons on the top.
But not everyone wants that, and plus - who’s gonna make thousants of icons?

I think making it editable is the way to go, but it’s not strictly necessary.

Advanced users use shortcuts and keep it rolled up anyway and only press T when they need to adjust some tool options, and for new users I think it’s a boon to be able to read Translate or Smooth rather than guessing what an icon might do, or hunting for tooltips.

I just wish it would go away automatically when you’re done with whatever options you’re adjusting.

If you’ve read my first post, no one is suggesting everything should be converted to icons. They’re appropriate in some cases, not all. No one is also suggesting that they become default. Keyword is OPTION. Or it can be added as an addon.

At most you only need ten to fifteen icons, not thousands. (Where do you guys get these extreme views.)

I’m leaving this thread now. This is just a suggestion. You don’t have to take it seriously. We move on and just accept things as they are.

If horizontal alignement for the vertical panels was working it could make this possibly easier.
But for now, it’s really broken if you try to make the vertical panels into horizontal ones.

Floating panels could also be an option. Imagine having one similar to Mesh Tools from Blender 2.49b. Frankly I find Toolbar quite unnecessary for my workflow (except “Operator”, but this one could be a floating panel too). If Toolbar has to stay - why not making it horizontal and squeeze somewhere at the top?

Really, when you open Toolbar (T) and Properties (N) panel the space in 3dView is really small. And remember that Properties along with all the panels (Modifiers, Scene, Particles etc) work only when set to vertical (which decreases the size of 3s view even more).

somebody could create a template (all the layers and stuff) for one icon, and everybody who’d be willing to create an icon could download that template and submit the finished icon. I’m sure there’d be a few people who’d want to create one (including me) :eyebrowlift:

From my point of view, Blender 2.5x is really slow and compared with 2.4x looks even more slower. Ordinary things (modeling, moving meshes etc.) take some time. I’m happy I have 2.49b.

You do realise you can alter the interface quite a lot via the python scripts that generate it?

Customize it, it’s easy!

I have a custom script which is what I make use of while I’m working fullscreen in the 3D view.

Also, for example if you wanted to have the tool bar and the properties window on the same side of the screen just hover your mouse over one of the panels and press F5 to get it to the other side of the screen, now this doesn’t clear up more real-estate in the 3D view but it feels that way when you’re working in it fullscreen, not to mention it’s easier to access all of the properties from one side of the screen.

If you’re working with everything open, like the property panel, outliner, timeline etcetera then of course you’re going to struggle unless you have a 30" full HD display.

It’s all about finding a suitable work flow for yourself, no pre-set interface will solve your problems.

Also the icons, if designed by a large amount of people, at worst will all be of different styles which would be horrendous design, and cause a lot of headaches for users.

I should just note though that the gap of about 20 pixels or so to the right of the properties inside the panels could be removed. It’s quite a waste of screen space.

About converting the toolbar options from text to icons, wouldn’t it be more reasonable to only use icons for some more common functions?

You look at the text and you find out right away what it means, now for some functions like translate and scale it is easy to create informative icons, but what tools are represented by the exclamation point, the blender logo, and the question mark? Icons would only slow down work if you use them instead of text for tools that is difficult to make a truly informative icon for or the icons themselves just don’t give much information.

All in all, customization, I agree would help here, there’s also the idea of adding a tab level to the panels so instead of having every panel open and creating a lot of scrolling, you can group panels together and switch through them with tabs in a way quite similar to how it was in 2.49. The toolbar scrolling could also be sharply reduced by having tool group panels where you can hide groups of tools you may use at times, but not often.

I noticed that as well but if you select your verts and hit any transform, they will snap to the object. I never really did a whole lot of retopo work til recently so I don’t really remember what 2.49 was like but this one doesn’t seem too difficult to me but then again I don’t really have anything to compare to.