.irx > elf > ?

So, eventually I’m trying to get over to doing this tutorial on transferring rigging from a game sprite to a blender model, but I’m not sure how to get past the beginning steps. I have a handful of .irx files that I’m told are the particular format PS2 games use which is a modified elf format, I also have one file that ends in .img but windows is telling me that it’s a .iso format and so that’s confusing… So I’m wondering if anybody knows where I could find tutorials on how to get from where I am now to where I need to be for the afforementioned tutorial? Or if you could just give me a basic rundown of where I am now and what needs to be done to get this closer to formats that I can open?

If you’re talking about Oblivion, that tutorial (and the other tutorial linked to in post #6) wants you to import .NIF files. If you’re talking about a different PS2 game, things get trickier, since 3D formats tend to vary wildly between different video games.

By the way, PS2 games’ .IRX files aren’t 3D models-- they contain code used by the game’s executable.

[Posting again, since the first one didn’t show up…]
The tutorial says to import .NIF files, assuming you’re importing stuff from Oblivion. If it’s a different game, things get much trickier, as 3D formats vary wildly among games.

As far as I know, PS2 games’ .IRX files aren’t 3D models-- they’re executable code (modified elf format, as you said).

They’re all that’s in the ‘modules’ folder, and the whole thing only contains a ‘modules’ and ‘movies’ folder, so I figure the underlying formats are somewhere in these, I just don’t know how to get from where I am to where I can see anything.

Maybe you should not mess with “protected” and copyrighted? material?
Blender is great, because you can do your own quite easily!

I thought the trouble with copyrighted materials only starts when you give them out to other people. Surely I can look at files on a game disc that I own, right?

Sand3, what game are you trying to get models from? And what files are contained in the root of the disc (i.e. on the disc itself, not in a folder)? Some games don’t put their models in a folder-- instead, they’re in a single huge file, such as DISC.CVM.

(Unfortunate spoiler: by the end of this discussion, you probably won’t be able to import the 3D files unless you make your own importer…)