is 3d modeling a good career?

Well, my situation was the opposite…A whole life dedicated to drawing and being skilled in that almost since beguining, had no idea of 3d. Had to learn very hard 3d. Now I do have a job in 3d games, and indeed is my em…fourth one, probably. And I hate it.

I mean, I love do 3d at home, 2d also(but traditional is what i like more by far, and dunnot have time for it!! ).Indeed I am a modeler, texturer, 3d animator, pixel artist, traditional drawing-painting artist. Being in certain region I don’t earn what I should, and yet have too much responsability and overcharged of duties.And a really low salary compared to what is earned in other countries and regions for same tasks done. Games become UGLY(I mean, the activity, I’m happy with the quality I output, :wink: ). And you never do stuff how you’d do it. Maybe art directors would, but I’ve been even in companies with 2 gfx guys,(me and another, indeed, usual) and yet being the other the director(money reasons usually), so , crap.

My advice. If you have the chance to do actually anyother thing, a bit more relaxed, that does not demands all your life, all your time and nerves, and to change of city,life and company every project, heck, go for it. I would. Right now. If I could…but too old.

That is in my experience, at least. Each person writes a new story with his/her life. That is a true fact.

But i do no recommend it, anyway.

If u can work a quieter work in an office, Highschool, whatever, and do yor nice and cool 3d an d2d in ur freetime, there’s eons from one thing and another. I usually hate a lot 3d and 2d when am employed, and recover a bit of the passion when all the shouts at my ears about hurry, hurry, hurry or any other idiotic paranoias stop…

Today I come from 10 hours, non stop banging loads of graphics like an expending machine…

No, is not nice.

I’m totally hearing what you’re saying extrudeface.

I ‘wanted’ to really enjoy 3D, thinking that somewhere along the way films might be a good career.

But like you I’m starting to wonder if a much more pleasant pace of life is better.

My inability to get into Uni was proof my skills aren’t good enough, so why waste more energy and health trying to get better only to work into the grave?

I’m with you mate.

Do 3d at home, using blender etc… No pressures except your own. Your own deadlines, your own criticisms.

I think people should experience traditional art now and I’m keen to look at that path as a route of expression. Photography sounds really exciting. :smiley:

heh,…there’s a guy who went down the “disgruntled” path…

Why is the grass always greener somewhere else? After reading
extrudeface’s story…that’s what came to mind.

For 15 years ago… I used to be a service technician servicing
commodore 64/Amiga computers & com. equipment and such,
after many years with repairing thousands of C64’s that job became
quite tedious and repetitive -even though I absolutely LOVED electronics
and still do…mind you :slight_smile:

just a few years later I took an entirely different path, quit my “safe” job
as a service tech - and went for a life in 2D/3D animation. I started from
scratch…took classes in traditional art…and a few years later got introduced
to 3d.

Much later - when I finally was ready to do production-quality work in
2D & 3D… After working in the industry for a while…the situation was
excactly the same, tons of production…sometimes 16-hour days
but the difference was…this job…I really LOVED! Not earning much more
these days than a service technician but the job is a lot more creative.

What I want to say is - some people tend to dislike their hobbies
when it becomes work.

A wise man once said:

If you find a job you love - you will never have to work again. :wink:

eh? Who? Me? Never LOL

I just figure that doing traditional art (as you did), could be a better route IN to 3D as opposed to these 3D courses in Britain.

Sometimes the grass IS greener on the other side. I’ve seen fields where they are muddy and soggy and right next door, on the other side, NICE fresh grass.

Cliches are just that. Cliches.

But I agree that folk should find something they love. But what is love? It can wane, become boring, then there’s the painful breakups.

Personally I’ve fallen out with my love of 3D now. Thinking of dating photography instead :smiley:

(Oooh, and I’ve got two Amiga 500s, one Amiga 600 and an Amiga 1200 with a Blizzard 68030EC accelerator board. Terrific machines in their day)

eh? Who? Me? Never LOL
[/quote]

Good :slight_smile: Was a bit worried there a minute…

Personally I’ve fallen out with my love of 3D now. Thinking of dating photography instead :smiley:

That’s a date you won’t regret (except for all the money you WILL spend on
cool gear taking those amazing clear (noise-free) shots…oooh…the gear
you will buy…lenses that doesn’t limit you…camera’s that are light
sensitive without the noise (money…) I have a Sony F828 myself…
loooot’s of pixel and a nasty lens…but a bit noisy on those higher iso values.

(Oooh, and I’ve got two Amiga 500s, one Amiga 600 and an Amiga 1200 with a Blizzard 68030EC accelerator board. Terrific machines in their day)

Fun stuff! I still have an Amiga 1000 for nostalgia reasons, and a couple
of SX-64 (nice ones too).

I’ll enjoy a few retro days soon…just bought myself an cool Eprom programmer for those “ol” eprom types:

Oh cr… Look now what you did! :wink: Tricked me into retro-rant mode,
you KNOW me …don’t you? …

That’s a date you won’t regret (except for all the money you WILL spend on
cool gear taking those amazing clear (noise-free) shots…oooh…the gear
you will buy…lenses that doesn’t limit you…camera’s that are light
sensitive without the noise (money…) I have a Sony F828 myself…
loooot’s of pixel and a nasty lens…but a bit noisy on those higher iso values.

Oh cr… Look now what you did! :wink: Tricked me into retro-rant mode,
you KNOW me …don’t you? …

Hehe, no I don’t know you. Checked out your website though. Nice work.

Yeah, I’m thinking of going photography/digital manipulation. I’ve got contacts at my old college which I’m going to approach to find out how to get started with it. Just hope it won’t lead to further years of wasted time and energy. %|

Hoping to get some basic employment to put food on the table and then develop photography and some video editing skills. Just seems more rewarding and expressive than modelling 3D objects.

Have fun programming your eeproms tee-hee-hee

well, and there are places with just no grass at all.

hehe

But I actually cared to put certain sentence…Is a bit unnecesary, but I’ll quote myself… :wink: :

"That is in my experience, at least. Each person writes a new story with his/her life. That is a true fact. "

Oh, and excuse my grammar, I have low english language skills.I ensure you all I handle quite better my own language :wink:

The fact is that what I lived makes me have not a single doubt on what I had just said…

And…no…I am not of the type of people that having not worked in other jobs, just simply can’t know how are others…I have also worked as PC tech support, installing OSes and fixing stuff…Also as a highschool drawing teacher… As a web designer (the times only Adobe Ps and html were used…(but is something been asked often even in games jobs…heck, I even have to edit sound)) … oil painter(yup, no contract, just paying some bills)… or lived during some months paying bills only with certain humor hand drawn strip. Besides, I know the feeling of studying 10 hours a day non stop to get a vacant in the gov …during years. To play it all to one card in just half of an hour.

Basically, I do get a distance when I judge my situation, and then compare. I know when I’ve been better, I know I have been worse, too. I know could be really worse, heh. But that is not the point. I just meant that if some good job is found, of good money, and no over stressed (unless is REAL huge money) stuff…heck, grab it. Forget about the passion thing. In some (green grass) places your boss may give you freedom in your executing of the graphics, in some others, even they’ll let you even take control on the whole graphic side. But this is not usual in my case. You become a grunt, an essential grunt, often, but actually you execute every right or wrong criteria of your boss, even if he does not know a single thing of graphics, composition, color, drawing, modelling, or even have a light knowledge of image editing himself, or even much more basic things.

Didn’t want to put the idea on every one that graphics, and specially game graphics, is bad. I mean that companies, specially game companies, have very ugly habits that my friends in other jobs do not suffer.(of course, there are some jobs that have plenty of other much more serious problems.but i can tell u they wouldn’t take a worse than theirs just make other people feel better, :wink: )

I just meant that is just exactly like any boring job when you have a boss that is…of certain type. And this happens often, as most of bosses are marketting guys with little to no idea on what is graphics all about.
And that way, if you really like doing 2d and 3d, well, I myself at least, have a worse time than doing a more boring or non creative job. I don’t care much if someone prefers a Linux or Windows installed this or this other way. I just format again and go on. Even if I have to do it loads of times a day. I did so. I do care if someone removes the wacom from my hand and starts to drop ugly strokes of the worst color possible in that point, by some marketting or simple boss person…even more if all these things happen every 5 mins or less. It becomes really irritating. Specially after 10 hours.

In comparison, when I did freelancing gfx, from home wasn’t so bad. True that i had to eat myself some logos, but heh, at least could end a full idea for the client, and one way or the other, you get allways a work done of the likes of the person. Or when I did worked as humor gag maker. I just did all that with my criteria.

I do know people , friend of mine (quite younger than I , an dthis is important) that have lived this years not changing of job (i did several times, and I’m happy knowing several professions) …and changing of city, and country every N months. There are people that like that, but I am seing some getting quite tired of that.

Is this totally to be believed as I tell it? Well, is true in my experience. But actually another person, in other country, or even in the same village, could have had a much better luck. But 4 companies for me are quite enough to consider a change of profession, and in my case is not a problem if I end upd deciding finally switching. And I know I’d be happier. But is hard when u finally get some titles out there, and some better money. But i may do. Depends on my boss character in next months :wink:

Anyway, once again…maybe 3d for TV, films, etc, is much a better world than gaming field.Also, at the same time, game companies of 5 or 8 workers may suffer much more than big companies were is not everything so weak and so overpressured.

BTW, in games at least, there are many companies that contract you in many countries even if you don’t have a single idea of drawing. Often the needs in these companies, if they’re big enough, or have a guy that wants to do all the drawings (and is owner of the company, lol) , they specially will not want someone who draws, but several bucnhes of modelers and texturers, and you can find your self there doing wall textures for a whole year, lol…and only that.(yup, in an small company is in that aspect more fun: I end up doing all the graphics of a game.)

I have no game studies. All the 3d and 2d I learnt, did at home. With also no manuals. Just modelling and 2d editing, etc.Same in drawing. Went to Fine Arts, but I already knew how to draw realism drawing and painting.
I only went to a multimedia master of a year or som, but heck, didn’t learn there nothing really useful.An dthe title brough zero job oportunities. They allways catched me for what I could handle, and not caring by my titles.The majority of the ppl I knew when went to Fine Arts (again, in my region) never learnt to draw really. And actually didn’t have an interest on that. At least in what is proportions, anatomy, realism, perspective, lighting, color…the base of drawing and all art, I mean.

So…Imho. You can grab a games, or other 3d job if you want. No matter if have or not traditional drawing skills, though they come really handy, I suppose. You can have a cool life with 3d and/or 3d game art…with some luck (you’ll need quite some luck, like every of us out there, I can ensure that.) .I just said I don’t recommend it. I do prefer to recommend to your own real art at home, at your will. That is art, actually.

And I also recommend people get as a main rule an stable, well paid job, put their strenghts in that. There’s room for anyother thing when achieving even partially that. Doing the opposite, getting an art job that rarely pays the bills (now I can pay em well, but been hard, and very unsure on how much this will last…tends to be only some months till company close, etc) , that leaves u no time, eyes tired as heck, and no will to do other 3d art at home -the one u’d otherwise do with your real aims- and surely lots of important life things in the way. I have known ppl that did the way I’d prefer: got an stable stituation and then started to do art…man, they’r so happy.

well first let me thank all who posted here it is pritty cool :smiley: i am still not sure weather i will actuly do CGI for a living but i no for a fact i will allways have it as a hobby :slight_smile: and may go pro but i need to think about what i wont out of life more then a job need to think about what kinda income i need in order to get the kinda life i wont :smiley: thx agin all

[quote=“M@dcow”"]

You can also say the same thing about Computer Progammers/Database Administrators/SysAdmins or any other tech job. Softwares do update but it’s not that big of issue if you are considering it for a job.

[quote=“M@dcow”]

That has to be the worst advice ever. Even a moderately intelligent person can easily keep up with the changes in technology.[/quote]

No need to be condescending and rude. I’m not saying it’s difficult to track, I’m saying it’s changing so much that one may as well get a degree in something more conceptual in nature. Rather than getting a degree in 3D “modeling” get a degree in sculpture, if you’re a technically minded (and even if you aren’t) you can adapt to new tools and apply traditional skills and your understanding of art.

I’m not saying we’re all too stupid to track the changes in technology, on the contrary I’m saying we should do this more so than if we were trained in some university program. I’m saying that getting a more traditional or theoritical/conceptual understanding of art you can apply those in new ways using technology.

It’s the artist, not the tool. I’m not going to uni to learn a new incarnation of an old tool. I’m not going to uni to learn an old tool. I’m going to uni to learn concepts to apply using tools.

All you need is an art degree period; if your into 3d modeling or anything that goes with any type of designing fields. your employer 80% of the time is only looking for a degree that has something to do with this type of work he is looking for.

Art degree=universal 3d modeling/animation(game development) degree= not

If you want to make 3d modeling a career but you feel like you dont want to have an art degree then aim for a degree that you can fall on as a second love of your life and just do free lance art until you get noticed. You dont need a degree in art or modeling to be a game developer or any other designer just need to get noticed. both of my brothers work for employers as full time freelancers. my oldest brother is an artist my second oldest is Programer who makes applications for a statewide cellphone distributer.

Always aim for universal degrees.
A degree is a key that will get you through a forbidden door. Your portfolio of your life skills and your personality will get you the job.
I know a few employers who have turned down people who had a specific degree needed for the job and took people who didnt have the required degree but had better portfolios and personalitys.

An education in computers is very funny.
-aim for a major your feel your best in.
-After getting a degree just get certs in everything els
-A CERT. is considered just as good as a college degree in computers in most jobs but the rule of having a degree in something still applies.

heck yes it’s a satisfying life!! I took a career test in my history class and got computer animation as my numero uno career choice. so i click’d on it: TWENTY-FOUR BIG ONES PER HOUR!!!

access.bridges.edu (i think)

Is that 24 BIG hours of workload each day?

Is that 24 BIG fallouts with the missus and kids over the lack of time together?

Is that 24 BIG projects your boss demands you have on the go at the same time?

Is that 24 BIG $ or £ worth of student debt to become good enough to get all the other 24 BIG ones?

Just wondering :smiley:

it depends on who you work for. 24 US dollars per hour of income. woohoo!!

It can be a hard business if you limit yourself in what you’ll “settle for” in the way of employment. If you just gotta work for Pixar or DreamWorks then guess what, everyone else does too. But if you develop your skills and are creative in your marketing approach, you can find ways to make a living in your own home town.

If you choose to be independent, then $24/hour might be a good hourly rate, but … - You won’t be working all the time. You’d better keep most of that money back for the times when nothing is coming in. - No one writes a blank check. They demand a commitment that you will finish a specific task, to the agreed-upon specifications, and deal with any and all problems that crop up with it, before you’ll receive (probably) two thirds of your payment… net 30 days, which means 60 days hence. - If you work as a “sub” for a primary contractor who pays you hourly, rest assured that his contract is of the nature of bullet-point-2! If you wish to assure yourself long-term employment or repeat-business (without which you cannot survive for long), you’d better structure your every work day accordingly. The $X/hour that he pays you is an expense to him, probably paid to you out of borrowed money, contingent upon the expectation that you will deliver what you have been assigned to do when you are expected to deliver it. Pretend that you are working under “bullet point two” and be extremely grateful that receiving an hourly wage relieves you from “cash flow problems.” Your employer is not so lucky.
And I’ve been working under “bullet point two” conditions since 1992.

You won’t be working all the time. You’d better keep most of that money back for the times when nothing is coming in.

Such a huge truth.(but hey, in games at least, happens the same with salary based (game)artist jobs, and probably can have worse times. I guess there’s little point on not becoming and indy, for which I may be heading )

I always wondered how can a client per hour to someone that works from home… When I worked in that way -years ago- only got per task payments(usually afterwards), werent bad but not to make a living, in my case.

is it easy to start your own company? I might do that.

Depends on how much money you have to invest. You never know if you’ll ever see it again. You can reduce your costs if you’re operating a purely over-the-internet company, but it still costs a considerable amount. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it…

Depends on how much money you have to invest. You never know if you’ll ever see it again. You can reduce your costs if you’re operating a purely over-the-internet company, but it still costs a considerable amount. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it…[/quote]

You can also keep costs low by making the best possible use of open-source free software.

If you used Blender3D, Yafray, Wings3D, G.I.M.P and a flavour of linux from day-1, then you’ve already shaved a LOT of money off startup costs. All you need is some initial hardware outlay.

Think of it this way:

If you were considering using brand-name apps like Photoshop, MAX/LIghtwave etc… then take the funds you’d use on those and divert it towards better hardware for your open-source outlay or a good stable hosting solution for net-working (not networking, net-WORKING)

Also depends on ‘what’ it is your company will do?

Depends on how much money you have to invest. You never know if you’ll ever see it again. You can reduce your costs if you’re operating a purely over-the-internet company, but it still costs a considerable amount. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it…[/quote]

You can also keep costs low by making the best possible use of open-source free software.

If you used Blender3D, Yafray, Wings3D, G.I.M.P and a flavour of linux from day-1, then you’ve already shaved a LOT of money off startup costs. All you need is some initial hardware outlay.

Think of it this way:

If you were considering using brand-name apps like Photoshop, MAX/LIghtwave etc… then take the funds you’d use on those and divert it towards better hardware for your open-source outlay or a good stable hosting solution for net-working (not networking, net-WORKING)

Also depends on ‘what’ it is your company will do?[/quote]

You still have to host your website somewhere. And if you want to make a company, you won’t be doing this on a free server. Additionally, you have to market yourself somehow. You can do it for free, but not everyone is lucky enough for that to work. Also, it shows professionalism if you advertise yourself well / effectively. And yes, I agree, it depends very much on what exactly you plan to do.

<nitpick>Net-WORKING is called collaboration.</nitpick>

Cheers,

Tom