Is Autodesk becoming the EA of 3D software (they just bought Mudbox)

First they bought Maya, now they bought Mudbox.

It comes to mixed feelings here, some say Autodesk is doing this to buy up marketshare and make more money, some others say it was a smart move and will enhance the product. Any thoughts about this?

At least Blender 3D can’t be bought out.

I vote “bad for consumers.”

But I think Blender will eventually become the only 3D package anyone uses.

The 3d field is a very competitive area to be in if you’re a software company. That’s the main reason why Corel gave up Bryce in favor of 2d apps (Painter, PaintShop Pro, CorelDraw) office suites and others.

All these buyouts from Autodesk (Maya, Max, Mudbox) are still a drop in the bucket compared to their flagship AutoCAD, which to this day has no real serious competition. I’m sure they’re making more money selling specialized apps such as Inventor, apps dealing with product design and manufacture as well as in building construction.

So, I wouldn’t make a big deal about Mudbox. I agree with Jeremy Ray. Soon we’re all be using Blender.:spin:

I use AutoCAD architecture everyday. Autodesk is great at marketing a “good” product. Their current scheme of forcing people to pay every year to renew seats is a great way to make sure cash keeps flowing into the coffers but I don’t think it always translates into producing better software. It does ensure they have lots of money to market what small advances they make.

mudbox is pretty lame compared to Zbrush, i would not worry about Autodesk growing too much from this buy.

old news being dug up… and boy do i still remember the April fools joke about ton being hired by AD, haha… :smiley:

Not exactly old news. Acquisitions take time you know. Autodesk just announced that the purchase of Skymatter has completed.

I had MB for a little while, but had to get a refund after three weeks. It was buggy at first, and while they were attentive and worked to fix any problems… I didn’t feel it was worth the $400. Now though, I kinda regret doing that. MB took the direct approach to sculpting and for that I’m going to miss it.

edit: and before you mention it, Blender and Silo are great alternatives… but they don’t produce 16 bit displacement maps.

oh, i agree, mudbox is an excellent sculpting app. :slight_smile:

I think its great and who knows autodesk may release a personal learning edition of Mudbox, now that would be awesome!

…I think those that have skills to pay da bills(Not me), can do comparable sculpting in Blender; yeah, I know Mudbox uses a few millon more polygons, and can mix super hi-res with low res, yadda yadda…But, I also agree, that some day, Blender will be the 3D app of choice, there are no other applications as robust WITH such a rapidly increasing feature set…attentive to the needs of it’s users…and are not “sellouts”.

I think that the sculpting in Blender is sweet. though, I can see how new users could get tripped up, with the “select visible” toggle, and multires implementation(well…for me, I guess I need to play with sculpting more, to absorb the forkflow)… But I love how even the sculpting has such a Blender-esque feel to it; cool hotkeys.

Daggnabbit, I just can’t say enough cool things about Blender, but I’ll always try.

p.s. Mudbox is cool, though. I tried the demo, but I am to addicted to Blender’s UI and workflow.

autodesk make the most potheticly counter productive excuse for 3d software that’s physicaly posable, and they have most of the market

Berk

"I use AutoCAD architecture everyday. Autodesk is great at marketing a “good” product. Their current scheme of forcing people to pay every year to renew seats is a great way to make sure cash keeps flowing into the coffers but I don’t think it always translates into producing better software. It does ensure they have lots of money to market what small advances they make.’

you are so damn right. in case not every third party solution would only run on AutoCAD no one would use this cumbersome program.

AutoDesk also bought Maya because Max is to my knowledge using a very old code base. While Max and Maya have different core markets no one can tell me that a code refresh update was not in their mind.

but on the other side they can increase or make the software work better together.

Illustrator has now after years finally some usefull pen tools. AI was in my opinion since years the most retarded program with the most retarded path tool among photoshop. freehand had since years a byfar better path tool. Now with CS3 you can finally align points and not only objects. pretty lame in my opinion since Inkscape has that feature as a freeware program.

but this also killed an application which combined AI and InDesign in one. Better for ADOBE marketing.

Just curious what application would that be. I use indesign and illustrator almost every day, and while there are things I hate about it, I can get some quite decent work done with it.
Tried scribus this weekend, and it feels almost like a childs toy compared to indesign, unfortunately…