Is Blender going good way?

Current “industry standard” is spying users, adding ads everywhere just like Microsoft do with their system.
Windows 7 is still good nice and usable. Windows 8 & 10 after some optimization is something between: nothing to love, nothing to hate.Windows 11 have taskbar icons on center. I read somewhere that Windows 12 will probably have taskbar on top… So every other system should have taskbar on top, because it is standard?

1 Like

Btw. I thanks very much Blender authors for Blender Eeeve. It’s amazing rendering engine. I have old NVIDIA card, Cycles rendering not working on it, but Eevee render fast . :cowboy_hat_face:

Blender is much better and more powerful than it was in 2.79, it is not just Eevee, Cycles is better, sculpting is better, grease pencil, geometry nodes and a large etc.

Successful open source software is very dynamic, this in in its nature. There are updates for Linux every day, and there are updates for Blender every day (nearly).

It is up to the user how often you keep up with those updates. When it comes to stability you can stick to the “stable versions” both in Linux and Blender.

Why change the python version? For the same reason everything changes, things get better and more powerful through change.

The Blender project will continue to evolve and many more things will change in the future.

To lobby for stagnation or regression is going totally against a better future and throwing sticks into the wheels.

The UI is just a UI what really matters is what you can do with it.

Comparisons with Microsoft and Google are ridiculous, they are multinational company’s (almost monopoly’s) that only care about money.

3 Likes

I’m always looking for a good excuse to break out my ole bucket of throwing rocks.

4 Likes

Eevee also introduced a lot of changes. Many people were not happy about it, some still have problems with it today.

Eevee was a change that was valuable for you. Other changes are valuable for others.

imo, no. Goal of becoming “industry standard” is a failure. State of blender is similar to pre2.8.

I didn’t really start making a full on effort into learning Blender until the mid 2.70’s, but I have toyed around with it on and off since at least 2011. So while you could say that my long term experiences with the program aren’t exactly deep, they are fairly broad.

So with that said, I cannot think of any reason why anyone would prefer the old UI to the new. Blender isn’t exactly perfect in every regard these days, but compared to the old 2.5+ interface, what we have now is a streamlined work of UX genius. Everything was so much more clunky, crowded, and difficult to navigate. When the new 2.8 UI was revealed, I thought it was a breath of fresh air, and I think it’s only gotten better since.

Maybe it’s due to me taking my first steps into the 3D world with Modo, which current Blender does share a more than passing resemblance to these days, but I personally never had any complaints with any of the recent changes.

5 Likes

Well … I still miss the colorful Icons and the text based toolbar but that does not spoil my user experience, so many things are better that make Blending such fun.

1 Like

I even like the new icons.

…I was there for their creation. I commented in that thread.

1 Like

:cold_face:

Oh well I got over it

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The collections outliner icon is a work of genius and you know it.

1 Like

For my 2c, having used computers for well over 35 years and during pretty much all that time, on and off one of my driving interests was making graphics/animation, etc.

I can tell you right now that 15 year old me playing around with basic 4 colour paint program on his new ZX Spectrum would totally kill to have access to the level of computing power and current Blender 3.6.

I mean after waiting a few hours for that 320x240 Pov-Ray glass sphere on a checked floor some 30 years ago to render was mind blowing. Now, my 3080 Ti thinks, pfft, give me a second or two.

Basically, things move on and progress and while it may take a little time to adapt or accept the change (it took a little time getting use to Blender 2.8 from 2.79, but once I did, I’d be half lost now trying to go back to 2.79, hell, I’d likely spend ages wondering why stuff wasn’t working or what happened to some feature or another if I went back to 2.8 from 3.6), but once you do, you mostly never want to go back.

If anything, my issue isn’t with the way Blender is going, it’s that it’s not getting there fast enough, at least especially on some of the new features/improvements that I’m really hanging out for.

On the subject of storage space, current games can and do consume 100GB+, so 1GB for Blender is nothing. Hell, my current GPU has more VRAM then the total HDD storage space of my first few PC’s. Back then just getting a 5 or 10MB HDD (no that isn’t a typo) was a god send. I no longer had to boot off a slow 360KB floppy and then swap it out to load up the actual program, while using the second floppy drive to store data.

6 Likes

Yes we all want more and faster! I think there is a general consensus on that one.

1 Like

By the way that was a sarcastic like I gave you there!

1 Like

So you’re telling me that I’ve been doing all this crying for NOTHING?

2 Likes

The text-based toolbar is still there (by resizing the toolbar horizontally twice):

Summary

blender_qevfzxTps8

2 Likes

I know but it is Icons and text. In the end I opt for just hiding it and use shortcuts.

1 Like

Dunno what you are speaking about, but im speaking about standart stuff like: outliner, menus and small buttons instead of outdated softimage xsi like UI, and ability to interact with gizmo which behave like in literally all other softwares.
Standartization did not have any connections to spying and windows and its UI did not have any connections to blender or other 3d softwares UI at all.

I remember when the first opera browser fitted onto one floppy disk… or maybe i do not correctly remember… i also remember every time when i got a new computer how fast this was… and then i got slower and slower when the apps got bigger and bigger…
But do i want to work on my old 486 with :thinking: 512MB… at least it had network… my old home computers didn’t…

Back to the topic blender 2.49… oh no it was 2.79 ( i do have a 2.49 version on my system while i type here… :wink: but using it… to work… no just some old files…)

Anyway: if you are happy with the software which do run on your system… fine… but…
…and yes there is a but… don’t expect too much about some “new” developement into this…

( Ohh my… today is my retro day…)

I never use those icons, but I still keep them up on my screen simply because they make me feel productive.

1 Like