Is Blender the best point to start a new project

Howdy hey there!

My name is Rick, and for the last year I’ve had this idea forming in my brain to make something great, as I’m sure that’s what all who have walked this path have said, but progress is at a standstill as I am not sure where to take the next step. Let me explain things more adequately, my interest pertains to making a non-commercial game. It will pertain to the super hero genre but with a detective and martial artist element thrown into the mix. Sadly, I’m not sure where to start as I have zero experience in this field of game design,modeling, and the such, but it’s a bucket list goal I’d like to see through so the newness of it all is quite overwhelming. It is something I must do or I will be kicking myself till it’s time to give that bucket I mentioned a turn.

What I am asking here; is will someone help to point me in the right direction to make this game a reality? Is Blender the best place to start? Deep apologies if this is in the wrong area but I am in desperate need of guidance.

Thank you for your time.

-WingDingIX

The usual question: what do you mean with “best”?

• Yes, you can use the BGE to develop nearly any game you like.
  • No, the game mechanic does not exist, that you simply add content and press a “make my game” button. You need to develop it by yourself. (If that is what you want look for a level editor of the game of your choice)
  • Yes, the BGE has quite a large userbase and a helpful community.
  • No, the project you are aiming for can’t be finished in a couple of months even by a skilled developer.
  • Yes you need to develop the necessary skills to get an idea what the above statements mean.

I suggest you aim low first. Start and finish a pong game.

You think that is to simple? Proof it with a finished game.
(Btw. I recommend to define " finished" before you start. That way you have objective criterias to tell when it is finished)

To answer your question: as you have no skills, any game engine will do. If you can’t program -> the BGE is a good start. You can describe behavior with a visual system until a certain level (called logic bricks). You can enhance your skills with Python later. As the BGE is embedded with Blender there is a very comfortable workflow from modelling, composing and running.

If you’re asking yourself this you are most likely already wet from the swimming pool.
Don’t stand shivering along the deep end. Jump back in! Blender is a great choice. And should you follow through the other programs can all be obtained in good time, and you can do a lot with blender.

Thank you for the very inspiring imagery, but what other programs are there to be used in coordination with Blender? I’ve been hearing something of zbrush but alas, I fear delving too deep into other areas without being able to get a grasp on Blender as a whole. Thank you for time :slight_smile:

Thank you Monster, that was very informative and your challenge has certainly been accepted! Though I do have a very rough and basic understanding of the controls, my next question to you ultimately boils down to where would I even begin this process? Modelling a ball? Texturing? The order of things definitely eludes me, and I would understand if this noobish behavior would repel any further Q-and-A but all guidance is certainly appreciated.

Another question I have for whoever is willing, say I wanted to start modelling a character is it absolutely necessary to have concept art, such as the three figures in a ‘t’ pose? Forgive me for asking such rudimentary questions to you all but I am most excited to learn from you.

Thank you,

WingDingIX

Controls are everything in blender. Every time you come across a command shortcut while researching or watching youtube tuts. Write it down in a notebook! (EX: ALT+M = Merge) Blender has many techniques and many of them do roughly the same thing so its all about finding your personal workflow and what works for you.

Practice makes perfect.

Blender alone can even make impressive texture sheets with texture painting but I find something like photoshop or gimp more handy. But that’s because of my background using more standard image editors.

Nice video showing the texture paint process in blender: You can get very detailed with the simple tools blender has.

• About Concept Art
    Reference always help when modeling anything. Photos, doodles, anything to paint the picture beforehand.

I started by jumping right in and modeling simple things like a chair and a car.

I listened to tutorials even if I couldn’t watch them to familiarize myself with the terminology. I did this while painting a basement.

Shortcuts are everything in Blender. Most of the time you will only need a few of them. See this cheat sheet:

Most common are:
scale
grab
rotate
add
duplicate
loopcut
border select
extrude

I would worry first about the game mechanics or working on your modeling and texturing ability before you jump into another program to learn (ZBrush / Sculptris). You can sculpt in Blender anyway, and you want your models to be low-poly anyway, so sculpting isn’t super high on the priority list, I think.

Do like Monster said and work on small games and tests to grasp how the engine works. Also, start learning Python, because you’re going to need it a LOT as your games grow in size and scope.

The forums are actually going to have a weekend BGE game making competition starting on the 17th - maybe you can learn Blender enough to make something simple, unique, and original for that compo.

EDIT: Oh, and as for the first question:

I think Blender’s a great point for starting with game development. I think it’s a nice program that works fairly well, though I think you can get spoiled trying to go from it to another engine (though that other engine could be good or bad, which could help soften the landing or not). It also relies on you more than other engines (I think) to achieve similar results, but you can make some good things, indeed.