Is blender3d suitable for large scale game?

like the title, i wonder whether blender suitable for some game like Monster Hunter, Max Paint, Tomb Raider?

And lots of other game engine, like Torque Game Engine, C4, 3DGameStudio

I wonder what is the point for me to chose blender instead of others.

I do try blender for those basic function, like input, scene changes, and it’s quite different from other engine

Can some one give me comment on how far blender game engine can go? And i do feel tht without a menu builder, do make 2D making quite hard too

Thanks

I think that blender could make a large scale game over time.

But i wonder till now still nobody use it to build some kinda great scale game, and i worry will blender’s physic, scripting tech can compete with other game engine or not, coz at first blender3d is intend for create animation instead of game

AFAIK, no one ever made a “large scale” game with blender, so I don’t know.

Blender engine is better than most you mention though.

It would probably require alot of python coding that other packages wouldn’t, such as dynamicly loading and writing info to the Hard drive as you move along. So if you want the easy way out, don’t use blender, but (depending on the game) it can be done, and it would be great for blender’s reputation, so by all means! Just remember, No one made tomb raider, a GROUP of talented people made it. so if you’re making a game by yourself, it will probably not be that big and will be fine in blender.

I’ve never been able to do much with the game engine, but I’ve only used the logic bricks and havn’t ever added python to one so, I really don’t know what I’m talking about :slight_smile: but I did see the game engine demos others did, and they proved to me the the blender game eng IS quite capable.

That’s true.

I am personally convinced that the Blender Game Engine is more powerful and easier to use than any others that I have tried in the past. It also requires much less programming than most Game Engines. Creating a game like Tomb Raider would be very easy with Blender, it would just take a good deal of time in level design. I believe that is the reason that no one has ever done it (that I know of). It’s much easier to make a large scale game when you are being fueled by money and driven by deadlines. Most people around here are either very inexperienced or they are just playing around with the GE as a hobby.

But, in short, I believe the Blender GE is your best choice (though perhaps a bit more difficult to learn, due to the lack of centralized documentation).

Yeah, you can make some large scale games like the ones you mentioned, especially tomb raider type games that involve scene changes. Doing a large, infinite world type game would be hard to do. You can keep loading more and more games ( levels, etc) from one game so there really isn’t any size limit. Menu’s are very easy to do, and they don’t look “canned”, like a gui would do. All you need is a little time playing around with the sensors and things and you’ll figure it out. Doing a large world game is going to be hard no matter what engine you pick, but I’d pick Blender over anything else. In fact, I have, mainly because it 's fast, it uses a fantastic programming language, it’s one grade “A” modeler that has the models already imported, and above all – it’s free.

If your planning on selling a game, you’re probably better off getting Torgue. You can still build your models in Blender and probably do a little prototyping, but don’t make an execute or save a runtime and publish it because you lose copyrights by binding your models to gpl code. If it stays a blend file, you still have copyright.

I would say yes to this question. As long as, like someone stated before, you do it in levels and not 1 big file. The problem is not blenders capabilities, but the users and artists who make these games. Poor planning is usually what dooms games made with blender, not blender itself.

I cant express the frustration I feel when I see someone post a “Im making a game” thred with nothing but an idea and a few models they textured. Making games takes more than what blender offers. I have yet to see someone find that point in a project where they flat out say “Oh crap, my game is too complex for blender, I used all these features and now I am stuck at a dead end.” Blender IS powerful in the right hands. If you have a solid idea, a solid plan, and solid designs (on paper) I dont see why you cant try and find that limit.

The problem you’re most likely to run up against is slowdown as your game becomes more and more complex.

Blender does not support as many polys as professional game engines, and logic can slow it down very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by san_diego_james http://blenderartists.org/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
I really don’t know what I’m talking about

That’s true.

Yay, me and social agree on something! I have a new faith in the blender community. :smiley:

Blender is missing a few critical features to be considered good enough for ‘large-scale’ games. One being good culling/visibility test/BSP based culling.

Yes you can get around both problem with heavy python scripting, but it won’t perform as well because the code isn’t build into the core.

I think the most common mistake is poor planning. Nowadays there are at least two tutorials posted on the subject on this very forum. Good planning is more likely to lead to good result.

Hi
I think blander GE can make some thin very good specific what python
But not like new garnished of game “ at list in this time”
Blander always develop we have new Built physic and GLSL shadier
blender in past …… bad in this time good in future ……. Pro

Plus the Ogre import will make it even faster and their are many releases a year, unlike other engines.

Guys, thanks for your comments,

i think i wil try to come list of python tutorial which regard on wht i plan to my game in my blog. Really hope to contribute something, to the commnity, at least for the scripting part :smiley:

I heard that using blender to make a game, should provide the project source code even if i try to publish the game? Is that so call GPL?

And i wonder is there any exception or changing liscense for other situation? like contribute some money for the community to get rid of the publishing the *.blend file?

Max Paint? I know what you mean, but LOL.

There are some other threads around discussing the Licence issue.

GPL demands if you do modifications to the Blender sources (and make) you have to publish the complete source code (excluding dynamic plug-ins). The modifications will be GPL as well.
Game content as models, animations, scripts e.t.c. are not GPL as long they are seperate from the GPL part (blenderplayer).

If you publish a game wich reads the data from .blend (or any other) file the data belong to you. This is like a zip file.

If you publish a binary including the Game data they are GPL as well. But it seems this is a gray area.

This is my opinion, please read the complete GNU here:
http://download.blender.org/release/GPL-license.txt

Building a large scale game is more a question of work, work, work and hard work.

Hi.
Beware bad English.
Blender right now can be used for large scale project. The problem as point it out by mpan3 are that ketsji ( the renderer ) does not handle : culling/visibility test/BSP based culling. This makes it slow as ketsji is forced to render all the objects that are in the camera field. Even the ones that are behind walls. But yes you can create a really big games with blender. For example a concept of a game that all the action is placed inside a big house so you can use different scenes for different parts of the house. One other thing that looks bad to me is that there is no way ( if someone can prove me wrong pls do it. ) to have globals between the different scenes. There are many ways that you can construct your design to bypass the limitations of the engine and this is something that you must do even if you have the fastest and the more powerful render engine.

GPL… I love GPL. Lets say that you are going to use a GPL lib for your game. Let’s say bullet( bullet rocks ). You don’t use a dll but the source code. You end up with a big executable. Then to distribute your game you must distribute it under GPL. Why? cause a part of your source code it’s under GPL and it’s clear from the GPL license ( it’s the shortest license in the world why don’t you read it? ) that if you make any changes of the code or add ons you must release you code under GPL.
Usually the C or C++ coders bypass this (problem) by using a dll( for windows. I have no idea for the other platforms). They also must publish somewhere how they compiled the lib. after that you have separated your source from the GPL one and you can grand any license ( the best one is GPL ).
Now the trick that I am not really sure. Confirm me if you can test it. Save all your python to files don’t include them in your blend. Compile your game and pick up the compiled python files (pyc) and put them in the same dir with the executable. The End you separated your code from the GPL license.