Is Eevee speed crippled on macOS?

Hi,

I’m using Blender 2.82a on an iMacPro (Mojave 10.14.6, 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon W, 128GB DDR4 RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB).

I’m impressed with the speed of my renders in Eevee but I can’t help but wonder would my experience be hugely different on a computer with a supported GPU? I don’t have any similarly specced Windows/Linux hardware to test with.

I know a lot depends on the scene and the settings. Just wondering whether I am significantly crippled working on this computer.

cheers,
Laurence.

Why would blender work differently on an iMac(pro)?

And a noob question: are there specific ‘supported’ gpu’s?

I’m running on a base model iMac (3.4 i5x4) and I watch a lot of YouTube tutorials. I try to catch the time for their renders, which are usually on Windows with a fast GPU. I honestly find that my Eevee times are not that much slower. However, Cycles times are much slower. I can live with that.

As I understand it, Blender is compiled differently for Windows, Linux and Mac. As Mac has a much smaller user base I expect it gets less developer time. I have read that the Mac operating system is becoming more difficult to develop for because Mac has deprecated APIs like OpenGL which means workarounds need to be written in for the Mac version. In the Blender settings for example, my graphics card is not detected and so cannot be utilised for renders. I have accepted this, as my iMac is a work computer and is pretty well specced. I am curious of what the experience is like on Windows as that will inform my own hardware purchase in future.

The main reason I never fully embraced Linux was due to my heavy use of Adobe software in my work. Sad but true.