Is GIMP the Blender of the 2D world ? or not even close ?

It’s one of those open source projects(like most) that has a very slow and gradual development cycle(and maybe only 1 or 2 developers). It’s github repo has some activity as recent as few days(edit: hours) ago. https://github.com/K-3D/k3d

DrAlta
cry when you find a bug… or ask for a spell when there’s no magic left

these open sourcery entities are eternal, while those closed can be killed, devoured & their parts sent across the universe to wonder the void for ever & ever

I don’t think GIMP is the 2D equivalent, but as a creative tool I would Inkscape is a better contender. Much better at creating vector artwork from scratch and producing semi-pro results. However, Inkscape has still got a long way to go before its knocking on the door of Adobe Illustrator.

I use GIMP for all my 2D needs for 2 years now. You can process photographs and make paintings very well.
We also use it at school ( I am a teacher) for image processing lessons (highschool, 12-15 year old students).
We do things like change the apple color to green, use layers to put student’s head on superman, use brushes
to add makeup to women, or graffiti to walls, or decals on Lamborghini’s. Or make Leo Messi wear other team’s
shirts. Or make students shake the hand of the president. Students have great fun with it and learn a lot of things.
It is a very good program. In school, we could not afford something of similar abilities.

By how interesting they are right now, krita is more close to blender. Krita is getting lots of new and pretty useful features at much faster pace than GIMP or inkscape, thanks to this I use more krita because it was the first to get support for editing 32/16 float images (the ones that blender renders).

In FOSS pipelines, Krita and GIMP would occupy two different areas.

GIMP - Post Processing and general editing of realistic imagery (such as from the Cycles engine). Some texture creation.
Krita - Painting, matte Painting, paintovers, and stylized texture creation. Maybe some forms of 2D animation as well.

You wouldn’t edit photos or renders with Krita (removing fireflies, ect…) any more than you would do serious professional painting with GIMP. The Krita foundation consciously chose to de-emphasize the former.

No blender doesnt even come close, many more people use GIMP, Gimp is less complex, Gimp has a more active community of people writing filters, filters are not limited to python

(just kidding but width some truth in it as well). I would rather say yes it is indeed the Blender of the 2D realm

It is a reasonable question and I think the answer is yes. It is pretty much the go-to alternative to commercial software such as Photoshop. I started using Gimpshop to get the similar layout as Photoshop. What it is going to come down to - just like Blender - is what are you missing that you really need from Photoshop? In the same way you would make comparisons to other 3D apps against Blender. Having used both Photoshop and gimp I would say that Gimp is on equal ground comparatively - if the equation is Open Source <>Commercial Software.

The variables you add to that equation are your specific needs. :slight_smile: