Is it possible to clip half an object indirectly similar to section plane in SketchUp

Hello beautiful artists,

I was wondering if I could clip a finished 3d model to view only a portion of the model without really messing with the object mesh directly. The idea is quite similar to the “Section plane” tool in Google SketchUp. Here is a screenshot of it.

The whole point of doing this is to be able to display the same object with two different design version in the same position to more less achieve a before & After effect like the below-attached image. It would be great if I could animate the before model into the after model with a cool transition.

I am looking forward to hearing from you smart crowd.
Thanks in advance.
Ash

sure: use a boolean modifier:

section_plane.blend (131.0 KB)

(Be sure to select the right combination of type (union, difference,…) and solver (exact, fast))

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks @LordoftheFleas

for hiding the plan on the render I should change the material to something transparent right?

you can disable rendering for individual objects here, which is what I’d recommend:

btw, I chose the wrong settings for the boolean modifiers, these here should be correct:

section_plane_2.blend (126.2 KB)

Thanks a lot, man. The only problem is that my computer and the whole scene is extremely slow after using the boolean modifier. Any trick to speed it up?

The “fast” option in the boolean modifier should be faster, but it may not give you the results you want (using a non-closed mesh like a plane). You can try using a cube instead and set both modifiers to “fast”

section_plane_3.blend (133.3 KB)