Is it possible to do this Chamfer style operation from a popular 3dsmax tutorial in blender?

At 12:10 seconds he starts selecting loops and uses them to perform that chamfer operation to the selected loops and get those quick shapes. I figured out how to select the loop and loop rings but I’m stuck at the chamfer part. Does blender have anything similar? thanks.

Not a ‘one-click’ solution in Blender, but totally do-able.
To me, that would just be selecting the edge loops, then performing a bevel on the edges, make sure i’m in face mode, then invert the selection and either extrude in then delete, or just delete.

1 Like

Chamfer in 3ds max = Bevel in Blender. Plus a lot of improvements came into Blender bevel lately, so yes should be doable, althou not sure about that open and invert chamfer. I suppose you would have to manually delete faces to make those holes after bevel.

1 Like

Thank you for the video explanation! The sugar on top is that I didn’t know about the boundary selection either :sweat_smile: so doubly thank you. I’m going to deep dive into the selection menu today and see all I’ve been missing on.

No problem there. I do use both software so I quite often get to compare similar features. Blender on a first sight is missing some things but truth is that there is almost always a way to go around it (sometimes it is even easier than 3ds max) but Max just got more convenient menus and Blender is more about shortcuts (2.8 version aswell).

1 Like

Quick follow up question. The last step where you extrude the boundary down. Would this be the same as just using the Solidify modifier on the faces?

Well solidify = 3ds max shell modifier so it is another option how to get thickness. With extruding edges you wouldn’t get bottom faces, but with solidify you would. It depends what do you prefer.

1 Like