Is it possible to do voices alone?

To be honest… Some of us, just don’t have as many friends as other people do. And that’s okay :stuck_out_tongue:
Friends i do have are not very good at voice acting. one or two of them can’t wrap their heads around how to use a microphone with a pop filter. x:

So if someone makes an animation that involves many voices, say 5-10 voices of both male and female…
Is there a way that a single person can do all the voices themselves? with believable results obviously.

i guess what i’m looking for is if this has been done before, or if there is a program that can slightly varry a voice recording to sound like it’s coming from a different person and not a twin.

Anything come to mind? : )

Professional voice actors do multiple characters a lot. Mel Blanc is easily the most famous, doing pretty much all the classic Warner Bros cartoon characters himself (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Yosemite Sam, etc).

As far as manipulating a voice using software you can try out Audacity. It’s pretty popular, so there should be a bunch of tutorials on YouTube.

1 Like

Family Guy :slight_smile: Set Mc Farlane with increadible voice control makes all of these, taken from wiki.

Edit: Forgot the Voice software http://www.screamingbee.com/product/MorphVOX.aspx it is a lot fun :slight_smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Family_Guy_cast_members

[TABLE=“class: wikitable, width: 500”]

Peter Griffin
Brian Griffin

Stewie Griffin
Glenn Quagmire

Tom Tucker
Jake Tucker

Carter Pewterschmidt
Dr. Hartman

Sheamus
Jasper

God and Jesus
Silas Pewterschmidt

Vern
Kool-Aid Man

William Shatner
Bill Clinton

Jerry Seinfeld
Kevin Swanson

Mickey McFinnigan
Nate Griffin[SUP][16][/SUP]

[/TABLE]

Part time sound designer here. Hello!

Software can definitely help. It’s possible to do a digital gender-bend using software, for instance - there’s a way to pitch up the frequency and formants of a male voice to make it sound female. From memory it’s something like an octave of upward pitch shift and a fifth of upward formant shift on top of that. Audacity might let you do it if you want to stick with cross-platform FOSS, otherwise Reaper (unlimited trial, full licence $60, Win/Mac only tho) has a high quality pitch shifter built in. If you want to get really crazy, Antares (makers of Autotune) do a suite of very expensive software which allows you to remodel an entire vocal tract virtually.

If you want to get GIR’s voice for instance, pitch your voice up five semitones, throw that through a chorus and affect a Minnesotan accent. Well, that’s how i did it.

Ultimately it’s down to the voice artist’s abilities that determines how many voices one person can do. If the voices sound different enough from one another - not just the timbre of them but the intonation, rhythm, pitch, etc - and fit their characters, mission accomplished. I’m pretty sure most of the voices on YuGiOh Abridged were just one guy.

Don’t forget if you have to you can do all the voice tracks yourself temporarily (they call these recordings “scratch” because they get scratched and replaced). Then you can do the animation and rerecord everything when you find someone who knows how to use a pop filter, what the proximity effect is, etc.

And yet not Elmer Fudd. That was Stan Freberg. At first. Then Mel Blanc took over and… couldn’t quite get it right but close enough.

Mel was kind of a god though. Anyone who can do one of their characters recognisably impersonating another one of their characters is a rare talent.

It’s possible, but not recommended unless you are really good at it.

1 Like

Not unless you’re Mel Blanc or Frank Welker.

You can use Kerovee http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwSuO0brbq0 you can do multiple voices from your voice. This is done on Anime animations. Plugin download http://www.g200kg.com/en/software/kerovee.html .

Note that you must know how to use a DAW (digital audio workstation) have a professional audio soundcard with an XLR output and microphone pre and a dynamic mic. (M-audio Fast Track (just an example) , and Audio-Technica Artist Series Dynamic Microphone)

Using standard laptop/pc/headset microphone will land to errors.

Be aware that you must learn :

1. Compressors how does work
  2. Eq-ing
  3. Reverb usage
  4. Pitch usage
  5. Doubling

There are more ways to do different voice from one voice.

Sorry but an actor named Arthur Q. Bryan was the voice of Elmer Fudd. After his death, the character was voiced by Hal Smith and, later, by Mel Blanc.

I’m trying for the same thing, like four or five characters. I would say if you want 10 different convincing normal voices your S.O.L. I don’t care who you are, without a professional sound team, it’ll never happen. But if your going for cartoony, accented voices and just plain weird voices, you got a good shot if you can manipulate the audio right. And to be honest acting abilities is just as important, lame voices are just as bad as the same voices.

you can always use multiple layers. record one voice as one layer, then place returning dialogue on the next. keep this going till the convo is over. that sorta’ thing.

Get in touch with any local speech & drama schools. Probably your best bet for ‘borrowing’ or hiring someone to do your dialogue.

There are many handheld recorders that work great and use a simple SD card to store the recording in a WAV format, which is like the .OBJ of sound. There’s a big price range on them and they’re dead simple to use. This also lets you be very mobile and travel to the voice actor, if need be, or record environments. If you’re looking for a good DAW, Reaperworks great and is a relatively cheap but good investment because it is updated often.

Zoom H1, for example. Tascam makes some solid ones, etc.

If you’re ambitious, you can go the Protoolsroute as well.

I found this factoid out later and thought, “Now where on the internet did i say it was Stan Freberg?” - too late to edit now. :smiley: The docco about Mel Blanc i watched implied that Mel took the voice over straight away too.

Good luck to the OP. :slight_smile:

I must say i thank everyone here for all these wonderfull answers! :slight_smile:
names of programs, different things to try,
many specific things to change to get what sort of effect (although most of the words for that i might need to read up into like semitones, re-verb, and all those sorts of things xD )

It will take some experementing but you all have left alot of help for me to come back to here :slight_smile:
I really appreciate it and it helps motivate me to get more on my project done knowing that it’s posible for me to do many voices if not all, and the idea about doing the voice and and then finding someone to copy it after listening to it several times was a great idea aswell! :slight_smile:

how about this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=av+voice+changer+software its fairly cheap, works in realtime, and does a pretty good job without needing much technical knowhow. I’ve used it many times…
theres a free-to-try version which doesn’t allow for a clean recording output (theres a female voice speaking over your output when you try recording with the trail version, but you can still hear the regular output with a headset… so you get a good idea of how well it works.

I do Sounddesign for years so I had a somehow associated question:
Can I make different voices on my own and make it sound realistic?

And after messing around for a few hours I have to say it works.
Here is a short list of what effects the voice in the end (in order of recording):

• Your fukken voice (this is maybe the most important part), train your voice, try things out until they feel more natural to you
  • The Microphone (should maybe not be the internal mic of your laptop). Different mics make your voice sound different (test them!). Also try varying your distance to the microphone. Cheap solution could be a decent headset-mic
  • Recording device. This SHOULD not alter your sound. But the signal coming from your mic is way to silent, so it neads amplification. Laptop internal preamps are crap (with the eyes of an professional), so a soundinterface (maybe via usb and with XLR input and 48V phantom) could be a good thing to buy. Cheap solution: use your laptops mic input or use a USB Mic)
  • Recording Software: use anything you like. There are DAWs like Ableton Live, Logic, Protools, etc. But you could also use Audiacity (I have no experience with it so I can’t say much)
  • Plugins and Effects: You can make your recording 9000% better by using these (if your recording is not crap in the first place!). Plugins under Windows are mostly in Steinbergs VST-Format. You can get a metric shitton of free VSTs online and there is a VST-enabler for Audiacity (just google it). My usual Effectschain for men to woman is as follows:
    [LIST=1]
  • Kerovee VST (a free VST for Voice manipulation - it is REALLY good!)
  • Equalizer (Cut out the low frequencys and try to correct your microphones characteristics a bit till things sound natural and good)
  • Compression (shape the Transients of you waves, take to loud things a bit down and to silent things a bit up)
  • Reverb (The key to every realistic sound recording is the feeling of room - DON’T OVERUSE!)
  • If you didn’t understand a word just type i.e. “Compression Tutorial” into youtube and you will start to understand

[/LIST]
Listen to a quick and dirty recording I made to show of a bit of the editing possibilities. I use one original recording (First time) and then make different voices ot of that on recording (2nd and 3rd time): http://wdrstndnetlabel.at/x/misc/voices.mp3 If I really wanted to make a woman I would not record such a deep voice in the first place (you can hear a digital artifacts - so there are limits). But it IS possible ; )

FYI…
Audacity for mixing audio is not too bad… but processing via plugs, VST or otherwise is like diggin’ a ditch with a spoon (at least the last time I checked it out, a year or two ago.)

The problem is the fact that Audacity doesn’t process in realtime like most pro-level DAW’s, even on simple things like noise reduction and pitch shifting. You have to pick a small sub-sample (a small bit of your larger recording), apply the adjustment, allow it to “render” for a bit (which can range, depending on the effect/VST/plug-in, from seconds to minutes even on a small sub-sample), to preview the effect. Then you apply the effect to the entire sample (which takes much longer to “render”) and hope that something that wasn’t in the original sub-sample doesn’t like the adjustment.

Although people have mentioned the importance of the microphone, which is of PRIMARY importance. It is, after all, the source of all that comes after and the well known saying, “You can’t polish a turd”, certainly applies, no one has mentioned speakers. If you can’t hear that you have a “turd” in the first place, you’re wasting your time! :wink:

Even top end “Computer speakers” are so heavily “colored” (frequency response curve altered from true flat), that what you hear on YOUR speakers, can be VERY different from what others hear on THEIR speakers. If you’ve ever heard good studio monitors you would be very surprised. They sound so much less spectacular than their $1k+ price tags would imply. But what they DO have is a near flat frequency response across the entire audio range… and when it comes to producing an audio recording that must sound good, or at least similar, across a wide range of speaker systems (from headphones, to dinky 'puter speakers, to full on HD audio systems), accurate speakers are what is required.

For cheap home recording, I use a USB audio interface. Mine is a Tascam that cost less than $150 and includes ¼" input jacks, XLR (microphone) input jacks, and MIDI in/out, as well as pre/post monitor (speaker) outputs. It came with a version of Cubase, which is a decent DAW app (“Digital Audio Workstation” if ya didn’t know… it’s like a mixing board, tape deck, effects rack, rolled into one). I also have a pretty good Sennheiser mic that cost about $200, and a cheap Casio keyboard (~$30) with MIDI I/O that I use to trigger samples & software synths. The rest of my software (VST fx plug-ins and synths,) I got for free on the interwebs.

For output, I surely didn’t want to spend the $$$ on expensive studio monitors and, more importantly, I didn’t want to drive the wife or the dog completely bonkers, so I chose a good set of headphones. Get a good “cup” style that encloses the ear. Open type small personal listening device headphones just don’t cut it. Unless you spend a lot, the bass response is not as good as the “cup” style, and they don’t isolate outside noise nearly as well.

True : D
I just didn’t want to scare him off. Speakers (or at least decent Headphones) are of big importance (so is your room acoustics - both for recording and listening). I guess OP don’t wants to spend 250 on a Mic, 300 on a Interface, 500 on Speakers and 400 on Software unless he knows what he is doing.

But you’re right mixing and sounddesigning on Laptopspeakers is like using your old Gameboy Color for Colorgrading…

I wish MorphVOX would have Mel Blanc’s voice.Anyway for example FL Studio is basic software for vst samples and supporting soundfonts. By the way I was trying to sound like original voice of Bugs Bunny.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w0mhgm13ca7fxte/Bugs+Bunny+Space+Jam+Mel+Blanc+Louder+Voice
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kla1ghm6ufi3qz1/Space+Jam+%2B+Looney+Tunes+Back+in+Action+My+own+Bugs+Bunny+voice