Is it possible to do voices alone?

One that sticks out in my mind is the incredible Michael Shapiro, who did many of the characters in the Half-Life series… but most importantly somehow miraculously pulled off the feat of doing both Barney Calhoun and The G-Man!!! Dude must posses supreme vocal powers. Get him and you are g-t-g.

I already voiced myself as G-Man enhanced and remastered dialogue sounds…etc.

https://youtu.be/aOTJP606TaU Including my voice of Duke Nukem.

I wonder what is the setting for Eric Cartman’s voice.

Probably lisping and squeaky voice sounds.

Would you like to listen my Frito Bandito(it was corn chips commercial from late 60’s early 70’s)the carricature of Mexican/Latino american cowboy-like person including karaoke song sponsoring food snack back then(I didn’t know anything about that commercial when I was a kid in 90’s I watched some Cartoon Network re-released Looney Tunes cartoons) Mel Blanc was still alive(nostalgic stuff)and Sean Connery was much younger portraying role of agent 007 aka James Bond that I recorded my voice by using my smartphone?

I hope this voice of Ugandan Chungus will work properly at this time.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/u4aahrexkh9nc6g/audioclip-1555277075-2739.mp4/file
Adult swim sense of humor https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xPpQvzpVkkw
Here’s an inspiration and idea how to make Mel Blanc’s voice for Ugandan Chungus on VR Chat https://youtu.be/8rIgBkn8LJs

Although this thread is now years old, we have better abilities to do audio work than ever before. You can get excellent results from your computer, or maybe even from your phone, if you attach a good microphone to it and record in quiet conditions.

The originally-suggested open source software, Audacity, is better than ever – although if you have a Mac you always have GarageBand too. A wide variety of digital voice filters will add many effects to your voice … you hear them being used in virtually every “pop music” song these days.

So, in the modern day, “you have an embarrassment of riches” to work with.

This is a gem of a thread. Lots of useful information I hear for the first time.

Instead of mediafire link I decided to reupload it on YouTube.I hope the quality is a little bit better and little bit refreshed with minor changes,but without any differences.I just ported it from smartphone into computer.

Me and wifey inherited a couple really nice balanced mics (her dad was in radio), and we have a Samson S-Mix mixer… this yields incredible VO results, even when going to mini plug into Audio In on mobo… I have never tried newer stuff, that presumably uses Optical Audio cables and whatnot… And don’t have time to research that, or the need to really, but if anyone wants to do VO on the cheap, maybe look into used balanced mics and cheap mixers on eBay/craigslist etc…

Anyway I have Singstar microphones at my home.By the way I optimized my Frito Bandito voice at this time I used envelope tool and change pitch on Audacity.Do I sounded like voice of original Speedy Gonzalez?

If you’re confident in your skills in doing multiple impressions then go for it. If you cringe at the sound of your own voice then probably no without a lot of practice. There are a lot of affordable options out there for voice overs like Fiver [Voice over]. For short and sweet sounds like grunts and moans ect you could use Envato elements it’s a per month subscription but you can cancel after one month if you don’t need it anymore and plus you get access to whole bunch of other resources that could be helpful. You could go the robot voice path but unless its actually robots it would probably sound awful. If you’re totally broke and you’ve the time then you could hunt around the internet and get what you need but it would likely be very time consuming. Perhaps students at a local college media course. Hope you get it sorted.

Yeah thanks for a advice I’ll keep it in mind.

Is there any voice changing software to make me sound like a child? I tried in Audacity,but my voice was little bit too highly pitched more like a squirrel than actual human. Because in Doug Walker interview with voice actor Nate Ruegger stated that his voice cracked up so they had to use computer to change his voice. I’m just wondering could it be software like MorphVox? Speaking of one of these websites is this multiple languages in this dubbing voiceover is this like paying these freelancer voice actors for any voice acting or just practising to sounds just like them?

Do vocal exercises and get as close as you can to your goal without the aid of any post processing.

Do you mean should I stop replying to this thread?

Probably should, it’s extremely old.

keep in mind that voice acting is a very difficult and studied profession and skillset. If you want to do it, you have to go hard.

Look up references and tutorials, like with all crafts

essencially, git gud. Do not go in half cocked.

Okay. I think this is my last comment.

Reading through this very old thread: most of the bases have been covered. Thanks!
2 things I would like to add to the discussion:

• Vocoders (there a software one amongst the Audacity addon effects).
    In this video you can hear Laurie Anderson using a hardware vocoder for voice modification. In “O Superman” she’s using a keyboard to play chords as one of the inputs to a vocoder.

• in the book “Save the Cat” by Blake Snyder, the author describes a very simple test for the dialog that you write:

1. write the multi-character dialog
  2. then cover up the characters’ names.
  3. re-read the dialog
  4. you should be able to know who is speaking by their vocal mannerisms.
  5. if you fail step 4, go back to your character design.

The point here, is that the dialog / vocabulary / pronunciation / mannerisms should be distinct for each character even before any audio is added. If done correctly, this can greatly magnify the perceived difference between different (audio) “voices”.

1 Like

Long time voice actor here. Yes, you can do it, but the answer is not that simple. If you are a noob at it you will make a bunch of mistakes and your acting will more often than not not be the best. If your microphone quality is bad as well it will sound unprofessional regardless of what filters and effects you add. Plus, when you’re just one guy it will often become quite apparent that there is only one person voicing every character, which will ruin the immersion for the audience. If you want to try it anyway, then just bear these things in mind.

There is however another solution that works which doesn’t cost anything. Make auditions on various voice actor websites. There are plenty of veteran and amateur voice actors that audition for projects. As long as you as the producer are being transparent about the project and the project itself is looking interesting to the voice actors (Good descriptions of the plot, characters, appearances, etc. go a long way.), it should work out better in the long run. Plus, you are able to establish a social network with the people you like working with, so the issue of lacking voice actors will be an issue of the past over time.

2 Likes