Is it possible to generate hair particles along meshes or curves?

Hi. I was watching this awesome making of.

If you look from about minute 12 to 16 he generates hair using maya. The technique he uses looks really efficient. He makes a mesh (don’t know if it’s made with polys or curves) for the general volume of a portion of hair and then he generates the hairs particles along it. In a really short time he gets a good looking hair cut…

I was wondering if within blender it is possible to use such a technique… I did some test, but no results so far. I tried using the tangent value, but is not good for it… any ideas?

Looks like he’s using Maya’s Paint effects, which assigns paint stroke-like effects to geometry. I’ve been able to achieve some good result in Blender using the partical hair, but it just takes time.

You can use curves as hair guides. Just select a curve and attach a “curve guide” force field to it. Ive been having limited success with it tho. Are there any good tutorils available for curve guides? Can they be used for animation? No one else seems to be using them for such a thing which makes me wonder if there are problems associated with using them…

Can they be used for animation? No one else seems to be using them for such a thing which makes me wonder if there are problems associated with using them…

They can be used for animation and they do work. A classic use is blood cells flowing through a tube or artery which is simply a skinned curve.

Oh I meant something like attaching cloth dynamics to guide curves with collisions, and/or rigged with armatures. It seems like a great way to direct long hair, but it doesnt seem like a popular option, making me think that workflow doesnt work well. Is it feasible?

Yeah I know about the curves guide, but honestly I never managed to get something good out of them… probably I do something wrong, but I don’t feel like is the best method on the world… the one I saw in the making of looks more straight, but I never actually tried it out, so I cannot say for sure.

Anyway would be nice to have something like that in blender…

Do you think is something difficult to achieve?