Is it possible to use BGE along with my archvis work to create architectural walkthroughts

(Taholmes160) #1

HI Folks:

I enjoy doing architectural design and drawing. I have a large log home project that I am currently working on. I would like to be able to somehow make it possible to walk through the home, opening doors, maybe even turning on lights etc. Is this possible using blender? Iโ€™d like to avoid using any paid software if possible as this is a hobby, and I really cant afford it :slight_smile:

Thanks
TIM

(Nicholas_A) #2

Yes, this is possible using BGE / UPBGE. However, if your scene is created in Cycles or EEVEE, you will have to remake the materials. You can also use Blender 2.8โ€™s interactive mode which is based on the EEVEE engine I believe which is similar to the game engine and is actually intended for things such as architectural visualizations.

(Taholmes160) #3

Very cool โ€“ by re-make the materials, I assume you mean re-render them in BGE? right now Blender 2.8 does not play with my machine, so I am still waiting to be able to use that but that sounds very positive

(Cotaks) #4

if you use simple 512*512 textures, then no, no need to re render, but recreate the material used.
If you add materials in cycles those materials stay there, in the game engine you will see that the material is gone. so you need to add a new one on it. Also make sure you remove the materials in cycles first. (if you switch, cycles/bge materials switch as well) so if you leave it you using double the space that could be used for something else.

Other then that, itโ€™s indeed possible.

(Daedalus_MDW) #5

i do this all the time. cycles nodes and bge nodes can be setup on the same material, side by side and not cause issues as long they dont intersect.

a simple material -> output setup is the same as having nodes turned off in bge.