Is it similar to use the grease pen to create objects just like with modelling?

I have 3D modelling experience with Blender (all though basic experience).

I was playing Child of Light and the 2D graphics looks amazing. Here are some of the screenshots of Child of Light.

I wanted to try and create something similar. With Blender I am aware that it is able to also create 2D images using the grease tool if I am not mistaken?

So I was wondering is it similar create 2D images/sprites as it is with 3D models with the grease tool or something similar (perhaps maybe even an addon)?

Additionally with this image where I have circled red, with this tree, you know how there is a lot of variations with its colour around the tree? Is it possible to achieve this without doing any UV texturiing and this can be achieved easily (or using some automation tool or something)? Maybe while colouring the colour randomly slightly varies or something as I am colouring the object?

I am using the latest Blender 2.9.

1 Like

You can use gimp or something to make your own 2d “sprites”. Is this for a game because if it is, you can use planes then like you said, uv unwrap. Or you make a 3d game, then use ThaTimster’s post-processing addon and use the toon 2d filter from the addon., or use can use those images, then trace over it ith the colors, I am not a v2.9 user, i only use 2.79, and 2.83

1 Like

Yes this is for a game.

How well is the addon supported? Would it make it look 2D ish and using this extension, am I able to achieve a very similar style like Child of Light?

One other question what the grease tool used for then?

1 Like

yes, the addon will make it seem, seem, 2d-ish, but the planes with uv textureing would be better.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that the grease pen tool is to trace stuff to make cartoons. I have never really used that function.

1 Like

Can I make it look like this by any chance?

1 Like

Umm, you can, but u need to make the textures themselves. Take the textures, make sure they have a uv channel, put them then unwrap them onto a plane then under the texture option enable alpha, go to the material tab go to transparency enable it and drag the alpha all the way down, then go up and click shadeless.

1 Like