Is it worth learning 3D when we see AI progress?

You should give https://withpoly.com/ a try.

6 Likes

You are right, but I can’t help thinking that the future is dark. But I’ll keep going cause I like it and I guess we’ll see.

2 Likes

Your next artwork can be a render of a robot working on a scene about you working on a render of that robot :smiley:

3 Likes

Well, then instead of training to be a 3D artist there may be more job options in the future if you study topics related to computer science, deep learning systems, neural networks for AI :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I didn’t know about that one, thanks looks great.

I expect blender plug-ins to appear soon that will leverage these techs to give us all more options.

Or an Ai that codes Blender plugs for you.

1 Like

Very interesting, it’s a precious time saver.

woow that’s cool.

Okay I see, but with this kind of AI, you still have a lot of work to do by yourself so it seems more legit to me. It doesn’t create a whole art work.

That’s actually a great idea :hushed: you should really do that if you do art

Yes you’re right that’s what I was thinking, but I would have a lot of knowledge to catch up since I did not study in that field at all

2 Likes

Another thing to keep in mind is that the legal issues of using images generated with AI are still pretty foggy. So far, attempts to copyright works created purely with AI have failed to be legally recognized.

Social media has been calling the recent generators a source of “free images” but it isn’t that simple. It’s still legally unsettled, so companies cannot risk using assets that could put them in danger in the future.

And then there’s the question of the countless artists who are being taken advantage of in the training of these machines. Personally, I think it should cost royalties to the original artists if you wish to use their art in the training, or even their name in the prompt. The government and the media don’t see it this way----yet.

8 Likes

Oh I did not know about the fact the legislation was not clear about that !

so true

3 Likes

Yes!
If you can get away from approaching it with the thought of profit.
Perhaps learning it for therapy… or seeing your ideas come to life bit by bit, at first.

The profit can always be made later on, one way or the other.
I really don’t believe that AI will be able to detail something that has never been created before. Look at all the AI output… when you look at it a bit closer, it is all approximation. That MindJourney can’t even get a pair of eyes to look believable (at least the way I see it). For some reason I can tell instantly what was created using mindjourney… it always seems patched together, with no proper transition, and a lot of defocus around the edges. It feel like one of this stroke-simulation-photos, when you look closer.

2 Likes

The fact that you’re asking yourself this question is, imho, a pointer to another question - why do you want to make art in the first place? Because all the people I know that create something, no matter what genre/field it is, including myself - can’t live a life without it. It’s not really something you can decide, it’s like an old friend that knocks at your door at 3 AM when you’ve been neglecting him for too long.

If you want to create art to solely make money, I’d maybe find something else - or if it’s just self-doubt, then keep doing what you want to do. AI may be able to copy and mix, but it’s lacking something substantial - the human experience. Or soul, if you want to call it that. My two cents, anyway. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m gonna say, don’t take my word for granted, because I’m not at all an expert on the subject, and I don’t want to come across that way. But my current understanding is that it’s going to be quite a mess in the next few years.

It’s really slimy when you see how many of the “good” artworks made with midjourney and such use the name of a concept artist on artstation and rip off their style.

6 Likes

In the first place I make art to represent what I have in my mind and to illustrate my songs, then I want to share it to help and fulfil projects of other people and make a living of that.
I can affirm it is more self doubt.
As I said in a previous comment, I don’t see myself doing something else than art in 10 years.

I was pointing the fact that it would be even harder to earn money from it since AI is growing but as you say, it doesn’t have human soul. And as the other members said, the profit might or might not come, it is what it is and I have to understand that.

4 Likes

AI doesn’t take work away from you, it expands your opportunities to get it but with a ‘different’ workflow intended for a ‘different’ context. Trivial example: if an AI allows you to get 15 characters instead of 1 in the same time it would take you to produce the latter by hand, you will have 15 characters with which to create a complex scene. Obviously this scene will have an equal if not lower price than the single character you previously recreated by hand (but did you really create it entirelly by hand? There are now addons that create trees and human figures from scratch with 1-click buttons). And it should not be underestimated that many people who buy 3D models would already be able to produce them themselves, but due to lack of free time or laziness or timeline optimisation they are willing to pay for a ready-made model without giving any weight to the fact that 90 per cent of the product you show them in the shop window is due to an AI. And sometimes the ‘laziness’ is so strong that people who could use an AI to get a character for ‘free’ still prefer to pay 30€ to get 30 ready-made characters that only took you (the artist) 2 days to redefine their appearance. On the other hand, despite the fact that there are addons and applications that can recreate 1 complete human figure with 1-click at a cost of a few hundred euros, people still spend 35€ (minimum) for a particular character because it still saves them even more time.

(It’s a different story for automation in the manufacturing industry, it’s really a mess because it seems to be an industrial revolution that will create a negative balance on employment levels unlike previous industrial revolutions).

3 Likes

I wanted to make a funny animation.
In a gallery full of on lookers, a man is in front of a computer telling it audibly what to paint. “a touch of burnt umber on the trunk and some panes grey in the clouds” he directs.
The crowed oooos and awwws his skill. haha

3 Likes

Is there a hidden reason why we do not join and do not create something larger together?
I hope AI won’t be our next excuse not to socialize.

2 Likes

I think the reason is not so hidden. It requires agreement and good organization. Not so common these days.

3 Likes

This thread is pretty amazing; I am cheered by a lot of the contributions. People here are for the most part thoughtful rather than just reactionary, which is quite a feat. I feel lucky that I’ve found this community.

To find out whether you want to use AI in your art, you’d probably have to use it for a while, so you become educated about what it can do. Then you can make an informed decision.

My feelings are decidedly mixed – I like the new possibilities AI offers to many people, and maybe especially to somebody like me who has no traditional art training and couldn’t draw concept art (yet) if my life depended on it, but I fear what it might do to artists (without whom we would be a much lesser species), and in a more general sense, to society as a whole. But this isn’t exactly the first time in my life that I’ve encountered adversity, and I’ve learned that it’ll hit me whether I rail against it or not, and things go vastly better for me if I maintain a positive attitude – not an ignorant “don’t worry be happy” one where I deny the dangers, not a fake one where I just pretend to not appear weak, but one where I try to truly see the positives and embrace them. That distinction is enormously important.

And yeah, that requires work on oneself, especially since society isn’t particularly supportive if one is the slightest bit weird. I mostly see life as a series of difficult learning experiences with which I’ll never ever be done. It’s a good thing I enjoy learning.

If you put your mind to it, you’ll grow beyond the inchoate fears.

9 Likes

‘Is it worth learning to draw and paint when we can just take a picture with a camera’?

6 Likes

The artist was once proficient in painting, but now that he has outsourced that skill to the machine, his brain felt free to clean house and ensured that he will not know where to start if he once again picked up a brush.

This appears to be a real phenomenon by the way, because of technology you have people who can no longer do math without a calculator and can no longer drive from point A to point B without a GPS. This is on top of people who can no longer hold a vast storage of knowledge because they can just ask Google or Alexa for the answers they need.

The same might happen to artists now, there are already examples of AI generated sprites for game creation, so some may devolve from doing nice manual pixel art to making something they might have made as a child. It is the ultimate test of the old saying Use it or Lose it as far as the brain is concerned.

5 Likes

I’m just imagining Bob Ross:
"We’ll tell it to paint some mountains in the background (high quality, brushstroke, trending on artstation), and some happy little trees. Don’t worry if you make a typo, it’s just one of those happy accidents. "

5 Likes