Is material meshes per vertex possible?

Hi! I’m quite new to this community, though not too much in Blender at all…
Well… I’m on the process of applying colors to a mesh, and I do not have much talent designing textures (could I skip this process, somehow?)…
I’ve tried assigning materials to parts of the mesh, but it seems that they should be applied to faces (thus, filling the whole face with the desired color).
Then, my intention was to assign a material to single vertexes, which would cause to get a gradient fill if a face has vertexes with different colors (materials)… Kinda like UV map…
Is this possible?
PS.: I already tried the vertex paint mode, but it seems too hard to get the mesh painted the desired way… Also, I could not get the vertex painting to be visible in object or edit modes (could I vertex paint using a material index instead a color?)…

Very much thanks!!

You can’t assign materials to vertices and have the face show an interpolation of those materials. That’s node work…

Ok! I’m thinking of a workaround, though…
Maybe you could let me know about the built-in textures in Blender (Texture panel)…
So, I have a few questions:

1. Why they don’t appear in the game engine? (it appears in the default cube when I preview render, but for the GE, even after I set textured view, the cube appears untextured… Is it problems with my graphics card that somehow doesn’t support shaders or something?
  2. I could work very well with the Texture panel (I hope) but, for this, is there any way to UVMap the model based on the generated texture (if I could save it to an image, I could load it in the UV/Image Editor Pane)…

Thanks!!

EDIT - Solved my problem! Blender has a nice texture paint tool, whilst any changes you make to the mesh affect the image in UV/Image Editor… GE runs with this texture visible (I just should have to pack the .tga file into the executable, right?), and I’m really fine painting textures real-time on the meshes… Blender, I love you!! :wink:

Good! I didn’t quite understand your problem, but glad you fixed it! And yes, the texture paint tool is really nice!