is my computer powerful enough for blender animations?

i’m just getting started with blender and before i proceed farther i just wanted to make sure my computer is up to par for doing such things before i end up frying it. i.e. blender animations, short movies, etc.

here’s my specs (which i just copied from the 2nd life viewer) so if i’m missing any important info let me know.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3340 CPU @ 3.10GHz (3093 MHz)
Memory: 8101 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 650/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.3182
OpenGL Version: 4.4.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

Your system will run blender ok.

for rendering you could try this benchmark scene and compare your results with others

hi thanks…i know blender will ‘run ok’…i just did the basic coffee cup beginner tutorial (yes complete noob here lol)… but if i get into more complex blender animations and short movies (being hopefull that i can learn all that haha!) will the computer still run as smoothly?

It’s very easy to bring any system (even top of the line) to its knees with a complex scene if desired. If you replace it with a more higher end system then it will be easy if one wanted to to bring that down to a crawl as well.

Nobody knows what you want to do or how complex scenes the scenes will be. You’ll fins out once you start using it the way you want to use it. If rendering takes longer than you expected then either make the scene simpler, break it down and use the compositor, use an external render farm or start rendering sooner.

If you’re just started using blender then you’re nowhere near being in a position to start needing to use a more powerful computer. You’ll only be learning the basics for the first 6 months so just don’t worry about it until you see some real issues

thanks…just got this new computer so i was a little leary of breaking things haha! i already had to get a higher graphics card for it for some of the games i wanted to play. it’s a custom built comp. so that wasn’t too hard. thanks again for the help! i’m sure you’ll see more of me around here :wink:

which benchmark scene? if you posted a link i can’t see it since i’m a noob.

You’re not going to break anything running blender. If the scene is too complex just close blender or blender will just crash (save you files often)