Is my CPU in danger?

While on the subject, can anyone recommend an app that monitors the cpu temp? Preferably a small one that doesn’t use much of your system resources.

That’s cool. However, 69/69 degrees is still pretty hot. What temp is it at when in idle?
ebow3d, at idle it’s 61/62 degrees C. What do you think is a more desirable / feasible temperature with proper ducting etc?

Buy some decent thermal bonding compound, a silver based one.
Craven, I’m just using the stuff that came with the new heatsink. How much difference do you think that kind of grease would make?

The p4 prescotts expect a duct to bring cool air directly from the outside of the case
That being the case, my setup probably has a lot of room for improvement. At the moment, the fan is pulling air from the power supply direction (warm air). Unfortunately the fan only installs the one way.

then the ‘thermal throttling interupt’
Is this a BIOS feature? or a Windows application?

it’ll work at 75 degrees, just not for so long as at 55.
Do you think running at 69/68 for periods while rendering will dramatically reduce it’s life span? If not I guess I will rely on the 5 year warranty to save me :slight_smile:

While on the subject, can anyone recommend an app that monitors the cpu temp? Preferably a small one that doesn’t use much of your system resources.

Right now I’m using the intel provided app, available from their site. But previously I was using “SensorViewPro” which was just as good.

Generally, most chips should run @ 40-45 at idle. Remeber it goes up at full throttle. This is a generalisation, I don’t know what your chip’s specs are.
However, you seem to be out of the high danger area now, and since you have the 5 year warrentee, you should be fine. You won’t be using it in 5 year’s time anyway…

Also, the system (case) temperature does not have a huge effect on your cpu temperature. A few degrees more or less isn’t going to make any difference to your cpu. The cpu generates heat from inside the chip itself. The most important thing is to get rid of that heat.

There is SpeedFan.