Is no undo a religion?

What’s up with that? Isn’t this 2004? And what’s with that no confirmation of save when exiting? Yes I’m new to Blender, but is this all really excusable in this day and age?

It would be nice if there were at least a way to automatically invoke incremetal save at X times. Working in 3D is involving enough, and computers are much better at remembering to do this kind of stuff, especially when the carbon unit is deeply involved in the creation of an object/scene. Learning a new program with no undo and a terminal exit strategy is pretty rough, to say the least. Unfortunately I’m not a programmer or I’d make that priority one here.

Sorry for the rant, and I know this is freeware and all that, but such lack of functions are a bit long in the tooth, don’t you think?

Undo: ALT+U

Auto Save is in User Preferences.

Thanks for your reply. I guess BlenderBase is a bit outdated, which is where I got my info from. From which version on do these functions (ALT-U and automated saves) exist? I have versions 2.03 (which came with the Blender Guide that I’m learning from), 2.25 Publisher, 2.28a, 2.31a and 2.32.

For the purposes of training, I work between 2.03 and 2.25 to follow along with the book. A check over at Blender Base mentioned that there is no undo, and to “Press [F1] [Numpad+] [Enter] to save a NEW version”. Unfortunately when I do that, I get an error message that says it can’t open the file. Apparently the command is reversed to OPEN FILE for some reason.

Thanks again for your reply.

Undo was added in 2.30

You can find more details regarding its use (as well as a few other features) at:

http://www.blender.org/docs/2.30_release/2.30.html

http://www.blender.org/docs/2.30_release/UndoDoc/UndoDoc.html

Also, the key for saving files is [F2] not [F1]; ([F1] = File Open)

to add some info regarding the Alt+U (Undo) and that is it only works during Mesh Edit mode (Mesh select --> TAB-key), and of course, from version 2.30 and up…

This is quite an old guide.
A new one explaining everything up to version 2.32 will be out of the press this very month. It’ s fairly inexpensive (35 euros) for a 600 pages brick and you can learn about it (and order it if you want) there.

>>Undo was added in 2.30<<

OK. Well, it’s quasi-undo, but I guess it’s better than nothing. Not really knowing anything about programming, I’m at a loss as to why true undo is missing in the first place, considering I have it in various other modelers that I work with, not to mention any other program. I haven’t seen no undo since DOS 3D Studio R2.

>>Also, the key for saving files is [F2]<<

Yeah, I figured that out later on. It’s a typo over at BlenderBase.

>>This is quite an old guide.<<

Yeah. but it’s the only book I could find at the time. I subsequently saw another book called The Blender Book, and I’ll probably look into that at a later date, but I’ll deal with the earlier software versions until I’ve finished this book.

BTW, if you are taking care of naming the first version of you .blend file let’s say “something000.blend” then saving using F2 and then the “+” on the keypad will increment the version number automatically to “something001.blend”. This is valid for any file you save, even renders saved using the F3 shortcut.

>>This is quite an old guide.<<

Yeah. but it’s the only book I could find at the time. I subsequently saw another book called The Blender Book, and I’ll probably look into that at a later date, but I’ll deal with the earlier software versions until I’ve finished this book.

The Blender Book is not exactly young either…

I intend to make all my future tutorials (released as soon as I can get my life back) as sequels of the Guide 2.3.

>>…then saving using F2 and then the “+” on the keypad will increment the version number automatically to “something001.blend”. <<

Yeah, I understood that from BlenderBase, they simply said to use F1 instead of F2, and initially confused me (and probably a lot of other people, they should take that info down).

>>The Blender Book is not exactly young either… <<

Yeah, but once again, it’s all there is. If the new Blender book comes out before I finish this one, then I’ll simply get that instead. Blender could also use built-in documentation. I work with combustion, and it has what is essentially the entire manual in HTML help. Avid Xpress is similar, but not as extensive. Blender definitely can benefit from full HTML help documentation. Some of it can probably be culled from the online stuff.

I’m also at a loss as to why Blender just kills your project the moment you quit, whether your quit was intentional or not. It should either prompt you to save (as most programs do) or simply automatically save and exit (as Avid software does). This should help to keep some hairs on your head!

You can access the Open Documentation project in html format there: http://download.blender.org/documentation/html/
Or download it in PDF format here: http://download.blender.org/documentation/BlenderManual.pdf.zip

It’s a 29 MB download. I think you can understand why it is not bundled automaticly with all Blender downloads.

Martin

No help for unintentional quits, but if you quit using Q-Key it will save a .blend called Quit.blend.

%<

uh…

no, iirc it will rename the last temp save quit.blend

uh…

no, iirc it will rename the last temp save quit.blend[/quote]
I’ll confirm that.

Martin

I stand corrected.

%<

But to answer your question, yes. I am the leader of the no undo tribe. You can join but you can’t unjoin.

I find undo to be a crutch, once I got used to being without it in blender I saw no need for it at all.

I can work fast, and I am good in Blender.
I no need undo. Ok, in editmode I use undo, but in old versions I was happy without undo.

In Maya or MAX, I can’t work without undo, because of the bad and illogical gui.

Interesting, Endi… Can you ellaborate that?

Nothing wrong with a crutch to help you along :wink:

I consider ‘Undo’ to be best part of doing anything on a computer! Its probably why almost every program I can think of has undo. You never have to be afraid to do something, because you can always step back.

Imagine if we could go through our everday lives with an undo button! :smiley:

That all said, I’m not going to bitch and moan that this powerful, free application doesn’t have a full undo button. I’ll glady work around it; so far it hasn’t been a major problem.(although there have been a few cases where I had to reload my old file and lose some work because I couldn’t step back) I’m sure Blender will someday have a global undo. I just don’t think we should ‘look down’ on the undo feature just because it isn’t fully implemented yet.

Arangel: I hate the Windows gui based applications. I think, Windows is a very bad operating system, especially the gui. I hate.
I have try Maya and Max. I wonder how can use this applications with its really shit gui…