Is PHP really necessary for...

Hello,

I’ve been wanting to make a website with some extremely dynamic content like news feeds, image galleries, forums, user accounts etc…

The problem is, the webspace I have doesn’t support php scripting :-?

My questions are:

[>] Do I need php in order to have and manage dynamic content

[>] If I do need php, is there a way to get it working on webspace that doesn’t support php scripting (like emulation software etc…)

[>] If I do need php and I have no choice but to switch to a web host that supports php, which webhost should I take?

[>] Is there a place or way I could atleast test php?

I do have a few webhosts in mind but I can’t afford them at the moment. I would prefer the alternative and use the websapce that I have now.

Thanks

Jon

Most webhosts support Perl/CGI scripting. Check out hotscripts.com. If they don’t support that either, your chances of using server scripting at all are pretty slim (but you could go for ASP/Python/Java hosts, though).

Check out www.clickherefree.com for a great free hosting search engine.

It doesn’t have to be PHP but your host does have to support scripting of some sort. Most hosts provide PHP, Perl and/or Python for scripting. You’ll also almost certainly need access to a database of some sort.

Well it’s possible to make a website with xhtml/css only that looks incredible proffesional. But when you start to think og user accounts, generated photo galleries and more, you would need to have php installed. Ofcourse you can bother yourself with perl and cgi, but that’s not really needed. MySQL and PHP together will give you the ability to do everything you want.

Now, generating website content and having a content management system, doesn’t really need php or MySQL. I’ve tried to make a simple content management system with python and it worked pretty good.
The positive side of this is, that you don’t have to edit your website online, but use some self made python script that connects to your ftp account and get all needed data to edit your website.
The problem is, it needs a lot of time to create a CMS with python, and a hack of a work to make it easely edit your website.

Anyways, stick with php and MySQL. It’s all free, and some free hosting website already have php and MySQL acces. Just google around. :slight_smile:
Else go to some provider offering a complete proffesional webhost for 5 dollar a month. I thought something about BlueHost, I heard pretty good things about that one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Do I need php in order to have and manage dynamic content

You could also use ASP or JSP, wich I don’t recommend.

If I do need php, is there a way to get it working on webspace that doesn’t support php scripting (like emulation software etc…)

Not that I know of… But you could ask your provider to install PHP… You could for instance tell them that almost every respectable provider nowadays supports PHP.

If I do need php and I have no choice but to switch to a web host that supports php, which webhost should I take?

I used www.hostexellence.com for my last project. I was very satisfied with their support.

Is there a place or way I could atleast test php?

You could install Apache server (www.apache.org) and then install PHP (www.php.net) and for sure you’ll like to install a MySql database (http://dev.mysql.com/) …

Instead of installing all of these seperately your could install a package wich does this all-in-one and just sets up a local webserver the easy way.
Do a google search for this. (I don’t use this but I remember PHPtriad is one of them)…

Elex

get a free php host… there are plenty of them…

one that i know of is: www.lxhost.com - only shows google ads on ur site…

A neat site that lets you try out the various OS CMSs out there:

They’ve also got some user reviews/comments on there.

Still doesn’t really help if you don’t have a host, does it?