Is Relative Translation Possible

I am working on some simple animations for teaching phonics - taking a word, and animating the letters in sync with the phonemes (sounds) that the letters represent.

In the top left hand corner, I have a rotating cube with my foundation’s logo on it. I’ve been playing with the node editor to get the cube to sit correctly, and managed that fairly easily by putting it in a separate scene, then translating and scaling it, and finally using an alphover node to sit it on my main image:

The only problem is that I want the final product to be in PAL 16:9. While I’m working, I generally set the output format to 1024X576 with pixel aspect 100X100, to give an idea of what the final product will look like on a widescreen TV. So, whenever I switch between 1024X576 and 720X576, I have to readjust the translation node so that the logo sits properly again.

I noticed that there is a math node, which could do the conversion very simply, if I could get the dimensions to feed into it.

Of course, at the moment, it would be simple enough to adjust the x translation value by hand, but eventually, I might add other elements this way, so I’d like to know if relative translation is possible.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Nice project. :slight_smile:

Forgive me for not directly answering your question, though isn’t the point of the “safes” / aspect regions etc that you should aim for logos to work on the smaller screen, with wider areas showing as a bonus for those with the TV at that range? Otherwise, if you have a widescreen version, and someone uses a smaller screen without letterbox option… goodbye logo?

Thank you :smiley:

Forgive me for not directly answering your question, though isn’t the point of the “safes” / aspect regions etc that you should aim for logos to work on the smaller screen, with wider areas showing as a bonus for those with the TV at that range? Otherwise, if you have a widescreen version, and someone uses a smaller screen without letterbox option… goodbye logo?

Good thought. I should indeed place the logo inside the safe area for normal TV - I hadn’t thought of that.

Unfortunately though, that doesn’t solve the problem. Regardless of where I place the logo, it will shift whenever I change the render format.

I’m a bit surprised that this hasn’t come up before. For example, I see Elephants Dream is available in various formats. Or do people generally output to HD, then use 3rd party tools to downsize?

I can’t speak for exactly which method was used on Elephant’s Dream, though in production it’s unusual (and risky) to render directly as movie format. Rather, render as stills like .tga sequences. This way, you can simply rerender bad frames and you can use a compositor to feed off the rendered stills later, as it’s very fast (because it’s not a complete rerender) allowing you to speedily make aspect changes as you like. Just make sure the stills are at the larger ratio.

Normally productions would use 3rd part like Premiere or After Effects, but with Blender the whole thing can be done inhouse as you’d use our own compositor for the final stills > movie release.

Thanks Lancer, I think that answers my question. Looks like time to clean out the hard disks :frowning:

If you want to preserve hard drive space, use PNG instead of TGA or TIF. There is a slight degradation with PNG but nowhere near as bas as JPG or GIF, and not one I think anyone would notice from a TV set.