Is self-education valuable?

Guys! Guys!..
This has became too detailed and too deep! :smiley:
My original question was about self education… At the time, I’m studying completely wrong subjects, like history, but I can’t really do anything about it, since as far as I know in my country there’s not a school that would offer this sort of stuff to me…
-that also why I asked if self education means something, because it’s the only education I’m currently having… and will have in the near future…

anyways thanks everyone for your advices, I’ll definitely learn from them…
also:

colkai: You’re probably right with the “killer” things, my current goals are 5 min animations, even though I consider myself as not so good… but so far it worked for me (except for the first killer animation, been working on it for several months ending up with nothing, really)

haunt_house: I think I’m really getting better with every project, only thing is that I’m balancing between school homeworks and blender…
anyways here’s something:
WIP:

my first character:

Latest animation:

sundialsvc4: I’m sorry but I think your post is a little too complicated “and” sometimes my English wasn’t good enough to read it… thanks for your opinion though :slight_smile:

Your english is great,
and keep at it,
your work is good!

Now, read about playwriting!
read about setting a stage :smiley:

You are very young so in your case, I would recommend going to college. Even if you do not get a degree in 3d specifically, I’m sure you have an art school near by. That kind of education is invaluable. Notice I did not say “degree”. People in our industry do not care about a degree. HOWEVER, having a degree shows that you can complete something… which is important.

I think Bohemia Interactive is in the Czech Republic. I would call their recruiter. Tell them you are 16 and interested in working for them one day and ask what education path their employees chose.

One more warning for you. I read in here you saying you are uncomfortable around others? You’ll need to get over that for sure. Working in the industry is nothing like working on CG at home. You will have to work with many other people, communicating clearly and taking instruction every day. You will most likely get more practice with this going to college rather than learning from home.

My 2 cent. :slight_smile:

I also heard from somewhere that to be able to do something really good you need at least from 10’000 to 20’000 hours of work.

Nope, a “Savant” can watch someone do something mediocre, and create a masterpiece afterward.

A normal person can watch a few tutorials on basics, and then dump things from there mind onto pixels,

A less then normal person (like myself) can learn almost everything there is to know, and still can’t extrude thought to pixel. I am gifted here, while deficient there.

Story of life.

If you can afford higher education then go for it and also practice self education while your at it ! that way you have both !