Is "Stanford Armadillo" a Kinnikuman?

Just wondering. I remember these toys in the U.S. as M.U.S.C.L.E. figurines back in the 1980s. The “Stanford Armadillo” has the same style and such, so I’d guess one of these figurines is what was used for the 3D scan.

I was wondering if anyone could confirm that the toy series actually has that particular figurine. (Somewhere over 200 characters officially released in U.S., but about double that in Japan.)

And if that’s the case, then why hasn’t the source model used for the scan been attributed yet?

My guess is the person doing the scan didn’t know the toy line or got one of these or a knock-off from a coin-turn machine and figured nobody would really care.

Of course it could have some other origin, but the resemblence of that model to these toys is uncanny.

1 Like

… oh, I daresay that the owner of the intellectual-property rights to those 1980’s toys “is not unaware of” any direct-use that might be made of them. And I also predict that the current manufacturer has lawyers, too. :rolleyes:

I’ll expect that all 200/400 of those models had to get “the legal nod” before they went to manufacture. (“It’s your butt. Therefore, cover it …”)

Sorry to necro-topic, but I’d like to know what toy was scanned to make the Stanford Armadillo – anybody? If they even measured its height I’ve been unable to find it.

well you did it first :wink: After some looking, the earliest reference I can find to this Armadillo is in this paper.
I did find the origin of the rabbit, at least:

I was a postdoc at Stanford University with Marc Levoy in 1993 and 1994. One day, close to the Easter holiday, I was out shopping on University Avenue near the Stanford campus. I entered a shop that sold various decorative items for the home and garden. On one of the shelves of the store was a large collection of clay bunny rabbits, all identical. I had range scanning on my mind, and these bunnies looked to be about the right shape and size for our scanning project. Even better, these bunnies were made of terra cotta (red clay), so they were red and diffuse. I bought one of these bunnies. Had I known how popular the digital model would become, I would have bought many! I brought this clay bunny back to the Stanford Graphics Lab and scanned it from several directions. Using the methods that Marc and I developed, I aligned a collection of ten such range scans to one another and merged them into a single polygonal mesh. The resulting model has come to be known as the Stanford Bunny. The original bunny still lives at Stanford.
source

I hadn’t found that, thanks! I’ve just tried emailing Venkat Krishnamurthy’s and Marc Levoy’s 1996 email addresses asking if they remembered anything about the toy – not surprised I got mailer daemon bounces.

Here’s his LinkedIn, you can message him there and see if he gets back to you! https://www.linkedin.com/in/vkrishnamurthy/
Looks like after he did CS at Stanford, he went into dentistry, and now he’s a multi-millionaire president of Invisialign.

Since I was curious about this topic and ended up on this thread, here is the answer I found for the next person to stumble upon it from Google:

The figure seems to be of the monster “Soccadillo” from Power Rangers. Here’s a video with the toy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMBBHWBi94Q

1 Like

THANK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUU!

Okay, there are details that lovely vid doesn’t have, but with the figure’s name and media source, ( “Soccadillo”, “Power Rangers” ), plenty of info is easily searched. It was made by Bandai starting in 1993, it was 7 inches tall according to its eBay listings, and it’s still under the Power Rangers ip (dang it).

Given the detail the scan picked up in ~1996, seven inches tall makes a lot more sense than less than two (Kinnikuman or their knock-offs).

1 Like