Is the Ryzen 3200G that bad to use for Blender as a stop-gap?

Hi, I recently got my hands on a GTX 1070, I’m in the middle of building a budget Blender machine, given current chip shortage and absurd prices on components, I got quite lucky finding such robust GPU in my 200,000 pop small city; now, the thing is, I built my current PC last year with the dirtiest mobo done dirty cheap, an ASUS A320-K, and put a 3200G CPU on it, and 2x16GB Gammix D10 2666Mhz RAM to complement, it’s been serving me sufficiently until now, given that just recently got into the hobby of 3D modeling/sculpting/rendering, will this CPU pull its weight until I manage to upgrade my system? given that the series 5000 needs another mobo altogether, I’m talking mainly about CPU bound processes (sculpting, baking, playback, assets loading, nodes, etc), given that I already got a good enough GPU for rendering and viewport performance

I am not sure i understand. It seems you already have the CPU and all hardware so you can test it yourself, or am i mistaken?

Modelling can almost be done with a potato, and you have a good GPU that can handle the polygon load so you’ll be just fine.
And also I’m pretty sure your current motherboard should handle a Ryzen 5000 just fine if you just upgrade your bios :slight_smile:

Hi Gandalf,

Assuming your motherboard model is actually the A320M-K then you can find a list of supported CPU’s here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-A320M-K/HelpDesk_CPU/

I’d suggest comparing CPU speeds if you want to upgrade vs the cost to see if it’s worth it for you.

I wouldn’t recommend overclocking your motherboard as it doesn’t seem to support it well, so that route is out of the picture.

Also,Blender Open Data is handy for comparing CPU and GPUs.

I’d suggest just trying things out using your current setup and see how it goes. If you start hitting walls and can’t do anything about it then consider getting a new CPU and/or system.

Cheers and stay safe!

I expected someone with more experience using Blender to tell me some about what can I expect to find as the limits of my setup, or how to test such limitations, be it sculpting, modeling, viewport performance, etc; as I said, I just started this journey and I’m not well versed into the actual performance expectations of Blender with a budget system, if you can give me some examples by the numbers that would be cool (like, "you can expect sculpting with up to 100K tris, or using more than 4 subdivision modifier is pushing it, etc)