Is there a better Snapping matter?

Is there a better way of snaping the vertex or end of the object to the other end of it? the Snap to grid does not really snap to the grid line at all. And it so time consuming to use the “Shift S” Key with the 3D Cursor. Do we really need the 3D Cursor in blender? I really don’t get this.

G and drag the mouse with Ctrl held down. Zoom in or out if you want the Grid Units bigger or smaller.

%<

Thanks, however… I still wish there is a better snapping function in the next version of blender.

Um, there’s that new magnet button on your view header in 243 now.

See http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-243/transform-snap/

Also a video/slideshow tutorial here: http://www.blenderforyou.org//BPY/Tutoriels/Nouveaux_snaps/snaps2_43anglo.htm

They new magnet button isn’t that good. Its not user friendly. I don’t even know who it works even after watching the video and it only work with in the edited object not when you want to snap from one vertex point of “Object A” to another vertex point of an “Object B”.

The new snap functionality works fine . Just turn it on and remember to hold down Ctrl to have it active . Also remember that it is your cursor that determines where your object will snap to . Just play around with the drop down menu for the three options available . It’s pretty easy to get used to .

And as for having two different objects snap to each other :

1. Just Ctrl-J them to make into one mesh .
  2. Use the new snap function to align them the way you want .
  3. Then hotkey P to make into two objects again .

Of course this only works if both objects are mesh objects but considering most architectural / mechanical objects would be meshes anyway I don’t think this is a big problem .

Of course this only works if both objects are mesh objects but considering most architectural / mechanical objects would be meshes anyway I don’t think this is a big problem .
Well I model architectural stuff and the new snap tool in it’s current state has limited use, simply because you can’t have two or more different objects meshes visible at the same time in order to snap between them. The whole universal object edit mode thing. Not being able to put a selection of individual objects in edit mode or a snapping feature that snaps to an objects verts/edges regardless of what mode you’re in.

For example in an architectural model windows, doors, walls, roofs are individual objects so you can’t use the new snap tool between them, back to Shift S.

But the new feature is a start and perhaps recognition that for all the years people especially new users have remarked about the lack of snapping and enquired about better functionality it’s starting to happen.