Is there a chance not to parent other bones to the IK bone in this popular foot rig?

Everybody knows this foot rig. But there is something i dont quite like about it is that if you grab this IK bone deform bones are parented to , and if you drag it too far than its deforms the body because deformation bones are parented to this IK control bone. Is there a way to grab this bone and not to have this deformation ? I am leaving here the blend file. Also please check if i have other problems with that rig. Thanks

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/41374

Attachments

IK Bones aren’t really suppose to deform. FK bones are suppose to deform either.

@XeroShadow

I know that. But IK bone is not set to deform. I am using it only as a controller. Other bones are deforming it which are parented to that IK bone and there is no FK bones on that rig. Anybody can help me and check that blend file?

It is set to deform in the file you linked. Lot’s of mechanism bones in your current rig are also set to deform.

Here is the proof:

There should not be any groups without a DEF prefix on this list. (If you are using the standard rigging practice of naming all deformation bones with DEF-xxxxx) Having vertex groups without the DEF prefix means that deform is checked in bone properties for that bone. If you parented with automatic weights, Blender made a vertex group for all bones with deform checked.

To make things easy, put all deformation bones on their own bone layer (and name them with DEF-xxx) and deselect that layer. Select all the other bones and use hotkey Shift-W, Deform to toggle the deform option off for all controls and mechanism bones.

Watch Humane Rigging for answers to your question. I’d just be wasting time repeating the process here and my explanation would be poor compared to Nathan’s. But the basics are, the foot deformation bone copies the rotation, not the location of the IK control. To do that you’ll need to orient your bones a bit differently.

Also you may want to watch the final rigging chapters when he rigs mr-biped.

Good luck!

Attachments

@DanPro

I know all of that and i watched Nathans Human rigging tutorials. He didnt do there what i need to do here. And yes the foot_IK_raw bone was set to deform but this bone is parented to foot.IK bone which means that foot.IK bone actually plays the main role in this chain and this bone was not set to deform - and here is the proof -

I think its impossible to do what i wanna do . Anyway its not that much important because i still can rig it but make sure i am not moving that IK bone too far from the body

Attachments

And dont mind other vertex groups. They are there because i deleted leg rig from the main rig - just to show the example

No it’s not impossible. You are missing on a key point and that is in another part of the tutorial. Check the final rigging of Mr biped. The deformation bones are copying the rotations of the IK mechanism bones. The DEF-foot is parented to DEF_shin so it’s location cannot change, only the rotation.

I had this same mind screw when I started rigging. You’ll get it eventually and then all will be good in the world.

I rechecked the file. You have everything correct except the vertex groups and weights. There are at least three bones (red group) that should not be deforming set to deform. You really need to clean that up. It’s causing you (and me) headaches. The only bones that should deform are highlighted in the green group.

The last pic is what I think you are looking for. Fix your deformation bones, fix vertex groups, and do some weight touch up.

Good luck!

Attachments

@DanPro

Great! Thanks, will review all of that again and try it!

@DanPro

Yes, it works now. Very useful staff i have just learned. Thanks again!

Attachments