Is there a profound deep philosophical understanding on how 3D modeling works?

I want to “really” understand the core of 3D modeling. I know this is random, but it there a philosophical equivalent for really understanding how to look/think of 3D modeling (Specifically Blender)?

Also my next question is a bit out there but… Has anyone “used/learned” Blender or any 3D modeling software while taking/doing Meditation , Psilocybin “Shrooms”,LSD or Cannabis(Marijuana?) I Wanted to know if it helped you conceptualized,visualized or understand Blender or any other 3D design software.

One of the reasons I ask is because I like to get the big picture of small things, I like to see how its connected, I like metaphors… My brain likes it.
Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

Wow …

Oh no was this the wrong section? :frowning:

Most people do it with maths.

It was a wow for doing Blender whilst high on LSD and the such like.

Jim Blinn said, “If it looks good, it is good.”

My other “3D philosophy” is : Figure out how it works then figure out how to fake it.

Yeah math is like really big, the inner workings of a software like Blender is ALL math. Its crazy lol. But for me, Its so hard for me to understand math, I was never good at it. Still to this day, im lost when it comes to algebraic equations, and even some basic math like multiplication/division. I don’t know if I’m a idiot or some folks just don’t get math… Sorry for the rant :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CorsaiRally;2698156]…the inner workings of a software like Blender is ALL math. [QUOTE]

That’s really not what I meant. You can describe all the physics of science and creation with maths. Maybe you should try some popular science books to get a different perspective on it. Roger Penrose, Lee Smolin and Brian Greene have published some very readable books on quantum physics. You could think of it as describing the renderer nature uses.

[QUOTE=organic;2698174][QUOTE=CorsaiRally;2698156]…the inner workings of a software like Blender is ALL math.

That’s really not what I meant. You can describe all the physics of science and creation with maths. Maybe you should try some popular science books to get a different perspective on it. Roger Penrose, Lee Smolin and Brian Greene have published some very readable books on quantum physics. You could think of it as describing the renderer nature uses.

Interesting point about describing the renderer nature uses. I think looking at it like that can help me a lot, thank you :slight_smile:

Like “Lighting” for example?

“Profound deep philosophical understanding” does not mix well with the assumption of substances which severely alter brain functions.

As Commander Kirk said: “You have to learn why things work” so subjecting your un-stoned brain to a steady diet of applied mathematics, physics, perception physiology and psychology (e.g. for color harmonies), photography techniques (you are taking pictures with a weird “camera”), filmmaking if you are into animations, art history and theory (e.g. for composition) and the study of your field of interest (for me means architecture and building technologies) is a better regimen.

Is there a profound deep philosophical understanding on how 3D modeling works?

No deposit, no return.

@jpb06: Exactly right, I couldn’t have said it better myself. Mind altering substances kill brain cells and hurt learning and productivity quite a bit.

People can come up with abstract connections and analogies about art all day, but unless they get their hands dirty with actually working with it, they don’t learn how to produce anything.

My favorite deep philosophical 3D art quote: “GET SHIT DONE” ~everyone successful

Uhh, Blender is good creative therapy, like juggling. It consumes your attention, without the need for other stimulus. Its constructive as well. Not destructive.

And as for Blender’s relation to math, working with Blender is as far from Math as Brick laying is from Engineering. Its not theorems, its doing. Its CG play-dough.

I see 3d as a problem solving process. It’s like a puzzle. How do I create this or that or as was pointed out earlier fake it. Blender is a collection of tools for solving these problems. Every time you learn a trick or new process you get a new tool. After enough time and effort your tool box becomes large and your ability to solve these puzzles easier. So enjoy the puzzles and keep adding to your tool box.

Thinking about the topology of a model is actually profoundly mathematical. How you can alter the flow of a quad topology inserting a single vertex that has five edges, or using a suitably placed diamond quad. And the beauy of it is that excellent topologists can use the techniques intuitively while not understanding the math and at the same time, mathematicians can prove it while not being able to apply the techniques.

-deleted- not relevant to discussion

If you want to understand 3d go write a rudimentary game engine. Then go write a rudimentary pathtracer. Then you’ll more or less understand how it works. Shouldn’t really take more than a week and IMO should be obligatory for any 3d artist.

Hehe, good questions, OP.

Being stoned can help to obsess over clean polygon flows, I guess :wink:

The same is true after swimming and sauna, though, so I would advocate that over drugs to reach that calm state of mind :wink:

I don’t know if this is what you are thinking about but, anyway:

The math behind 3d-modelling is actually a very old invention, with deep roots in philosophy.

Do a search for Paolo Uccello’s “The Chalice”.

It looks like something made in Blender, rendered in wireframe-mode, but actually, it is a 15th century drawing.