Is there a script capable of this?

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5683/anotherangle2on.th.jpg

This is what I can get with the BRayBaker script, for reasons due to it’s limitations, I had to do it in separate parts, and then join all the parts together in one mesh.

Unfortunately, this method leaves all the objects not effecting eachother as far a global illumination is concerned.

So I used the older radioisty baking method I was using, to color the vertexes, so that I could get the image below:

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/450/soclose8fo.th.png

this is also a realtime view, but looks so much cooler.

The only thing the script would need to do is bake the vertex colors to the UVmap. I have tried UVpainter, and then using layering in Paint Shop Pro, but I cnanot get anything close to the results displayed here.

So… is there a script that can bake the vertex colors to an already existing UVmap, or using an already existing UVmap?

Hello NeOmega
Yes there is a script for watt you are looking for. It is the “Texture Baker” you can find it in the python plugins window under UV tools. The script is written by jms for Blender 2.37a so it is not working 100% in the new Blender 2.40 (but I found a workaround ;-)). :smiley:
Her is the link to the elysiun view forum blender python plugins https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46161

Her is the link to the latest script (3d2uvbakerv031.py) http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blenderfile/py/3d2uvbakerv031.py

Her is the link to the tutorial http://jmsoler.free.fr/didacticiel/blender/tutor/cpl_mesh3d2uv2d_en.htm

The Texture Baker script used the Absolute Vertex Keys and this tool is replaced by an option of the the Shape Key in Blender 2.40.

I found a workaround to use the script with Blender 2.40. You have to do these steps to make the script work.

1. Select your object and run the script.
  2. In the popup panel select no replace and then 256 as your image size
  3. You see that the rendered image is not what you won’t
  4. Go to outliner panel, select view and then outliner
  5. In the outliner expand scene and select UVOBJECT
  6. Go to editing (F9) panel and go to shapes panel
  7. In shapes pane select key 1 and put the value to 1.00 and pin it
  8. Select your original object in the 3d window and run the script
  9. That’s it :smiley:

Thanks patrick. I had been messing with it, but had not had much luck with it.

I’ll try it again and see if I can get it to give me the results I want. Unfortunatley, it seems limited to screen resolution, and this particular texture would be best rendered at 2048, if not 4096, and then shrunk.

Hello NeOmega
I think you are talking about another script the UV painter. The UV painter only lat you do imagines at screen resolution . :expressionless:

But the latest 3d2uvbakerv031.py script (also known as Texture Baker) late you make imagines from 256 to 4096, and bigger if you chance 2 lines of cod in the script :wink: . Al this is documented in the tutorial here http://jmsoler.free.fr/didacticiel/blender/tutor/cpl_mesh3d2uv2d_en.htm

Use Blender 2.37a and forget about the workaround that I use to make it work in Blender 2.40. The script is here http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blenderfile/py/3d2uvbakerv031.py

Just follow the instructions in the tutorial and every thing shut work fin. :slight_smile:

I was talking about painter, however, that reminded me… when I would choose 2048, ti would still only come out 512, but I’ll give the tutroial a wlakthrough, and see what happens.

Well, here is the hybrid obtained from using jms’s texture baker script:

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/2267/hybrid5ww.th.png

I have it posed to show the most glaring of seams, but I think with a little bit of polishing in paint shop pro, this grayscale method should be acceptable.

problem with all these ‘baker’ scripts is they don’t make ‘outlines’ on UV islands as bakers in payware do.

problem is can be easily solved, but only to some extent - one should duplicate (shareFrom ) the flattened object with small offset in 4 or 8 directions. works nice, only thing is you need unwrapper code that eliminates duplicated vertices for economy reason. and maybe enable motionblur in rendering command.

other, proper, method would be to calculate and properly uv edge extrusions on UV islands - maybe a task for cambo :P.

I posted a snippet of a working code here somewhere some time ago. I have my tools for uvmapping. I very much like the Optimize stretch in tuhopuu.

BTW: I couldn’t patch the blender source with theeth’s baker patch :o

actually, macounos BRayBaker does an excellent baking job, and seamlessly. It is truly an excellent script. I may stil experiment with it to try and get the combined AO effect, that I am currently using radiosity for.

problem is can be easily solved, but only to some extent - one should duplicate (shareFrom ) the flattened object with small offset in 4 or 8 directions. works nice, only thing is you need unwrapper code that eliminates duplicated vertices for economy reason.

are you talking about in a 2d program or in Blender?

and maybe enable motionblur in rendering command.

motionblur? Is that possible, or would I have to do some sort of animation… also wouldn’t that blur the details?

BTW: I couldn’t patch the blender source with theeth’s baker patch :o

theeths baker patch, ehh?

I wasn’t bashing macouno’s script at all - it’s a very gutsy effort at least.

but given blender’s limitation, it’s output is as it is.
imo - for such a script (or a hardcoded system), I think blender’s pano/x-y parts renderer should be tweaked-hacked to work like macouno’s code: so each x-y part could be rendered truly seamlesly, orthogonal to given uv island(???) and thus output would be seamless as well: with ao, procedural materials etc …

really, I have had near flawless, seamless bakes with macounos script, but it does have limitiations, pretty much depending on the levels and sizes of details you are baking, and is dependant on the camera.

I would love to see a built in baker, but I dunno how hard it would be to get seamless results. Seams are one of those things that can be difficult to get around, no matter what package you are using.

I would actually think a 3d program, or a filter would do it best. I dunno, not a coder… :stuck_out_tongue:

this near flawless - is what bothers me. it either is flawless or it isn’t.

not only for the raybaker but for all tools of this kind (vcol, unwrappers etc). i really think blender’s pano/x-y parts renderer should be extended to allow precise enough rendering of scripted tools. i’ve been playing with the capsule unwrapper script modding and this near is what breakes it for me. just too fiddly atm.

I ended up baking again with BRayBaker, and it worked this time.

The script, I think, is better than what the competition offers. No joke.

hey ho… there’s no competition here guys… we are all just trying to make things work better, or do stuff it doesn’t/didn’t do yet. :wink: I especially love the textural uv baker myself cause it’s so incredibly quick… for things like vertex colors and procedurals its just amazing.

If that script doesn’t do seamlessness I’m sure we can fix it… I’d be happy to help a bit or explain how I did it in the baker script.

In the end it’ll all have to be coded into blender anyhoo.

I don’t know about the pano camera and how that’s different to the regular one.

Basicly we’d somehow need a camera for which you can say… I want to render this position on this face from this angle for this pixel of the final image… and then just render that face and nothing in front or behind it (so no clipstart or end). That may clash with things like raymir and such.

There’s a lot to take into account… probably a lot more than I can think of.

hey ho… there’s no competition here guys… we are all just trying to make things work better, or do stuff it doesn’t/didn’t do yet. :wink: I especially love the textural uv baker myself cause it’s so incredibly quick… for things like vertex colors and procedurals its just amazing.[/quote]

I meant competition like scripts and plug-ins for Maya and Max. I have read many times about problems with seams, something your script takes care of quite nicely.