Is there a way to autoupdate blender?

Hey. Is there a way to autoupdate blender from within blender? Some graphics programs let you do that. Since blender is free it should be natural that it autoupdates itself when a new official version is released. Maybe blender could lunch a small window on startup with asking you to update and a list of new features.
It would be a nice feature for those who don’t follow blender’s development constantly. And you wouldn’t have to reinstall it every new release. So then you can assign Windows to open .blend files with blender and not having to change this file assosination over again
or maybe there is a script for that ?
maybe someone could ask the dev team for help with this ? It could be a nice feature for newbies

Short answer: No and not wanted regarding some Devs in the IRC. A Popup Script
would be ofc easy to write.

And you wouldn’t have to reinstall it every new release. So then you can assign Windows to open .blend files with blender and not having to change this file assosination over again or maybe there is a script for that ?

If you use the installer, shouldn’t this work automatically?

would take lot less bandwidth from servers if you just download/update changed files instead of complete package. dunno. would be cool, rather than downloading latest version all the time.

another thing here is that there is an official installed version only every 3 / 4 months
but in between official version there may be 100 SVN not installed!

so are you talking about the installed official or local SVN versions ?

also when there is a new SVN you can always get your old user preferences updated in the new version!

don’t think it would something really usefull!

and there is a new scripts to help keep the most used addons in a specific folder!

happy bl

would take lot less bandwidth from servers if you just download/update changed files instead of complete package. dunno. would be cool, rather than downloading latest version all the time.

Blender.exe and Blenderplayer.exe together count 104 megabytes, and their binary data changes a lot I guess (not to mention that different compilers create different executables). Don’t think diffing is any usefull in this case.

there is an official installed version only every 3 / 4 months

Offically it is aimed for a bi-monthly release cycle, but since there’s an ‘a’ release with bugfixes for pretty much for every version, it’s rather 3 months. For production, it is recommended to only switch from one ‘a’ release to the next stable ‘a’. But there’s seldomly a point in updating during a production, so a new version every 3 (or 4) months is still a lot - compare that to other DCCs.

installed official or local SVN versions

there’s nothing like an SVN version, there’s the source control SVN and every commit increases the revision number and there are the buildbots trying to build the lastest revision up to several times per day (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build_automation). These builds, call them nightly builds if you want, can be used to check if a bug was actually fixed, to try out bleeding edge features and, not to forget, to verify that the code actually builds. They are absolutely not considered stable, and you actually don’t need them as regular blender user.

Should be done Modo have auto update and acctualy every software with comes in free updates have this.

It’s not a big thing to have this but I think it would be a nice addition and a tip of the hat towards to new blender users or some small companies that are focused more on work than following blender. I personally don’t need it to much maybe only for the file assosination problem. But I think that it would be a nice thing to promote blender, make it more user friendly, company friendly. A small thing that makes you happy :slight_smile: of course it’s not a feature for guy’s that use a lot of blender versions and builds.
And of course it concerns only the official stable releases. Maybe only the popup window could be achived? If the auto update is a too big problem.

Short answer: No and not wanted regarding some Devs in the IRC. A Popup Script
would be ofc easy to write.

I wonder what where the arguments and why they aren’t interested? Could you say a bit more about that, since the devs mentioned this topic?
As you said that it’s easy to write a a popup window script, I would write it myself if i only could. A pitty that I’m not a coder ( but you cannot do or have everything though ).

Yeah. If the update is free so it should be obvious. Then we could use it to promote blender on the site :" Free updates" so the new comers would read specific short phrases about blender possibilities/features. But that’ for another topic “how to better promote blender and why to do so”.

I think this is just a hassle to maintain. There are 3 operating systems, and all of them change occasionally. Then all these different distros of linux… And probably there are just a lot of pitfalls and special cases to take care of that I cannot even think about because I have no idea how it works.
Sure, it would be convenient, but frankly I think the energy to do something that is just a bit more convenient is better spent on bug fixing, dependency graph and usability.

Yeah maybe that’s the case. If only we had more developers… :slight_smile: so maybe only notify it in the splash screen?
But clear something out for me becouse I don’t understand. It seems like an easy task with different systems. Blender checks what operating system you are on and then downloads the proper package from the site. So if you have win x64 then it downloads that instaler and installs it. Am I missing something? Is it more complicated than this? It probably is but how does it work? Any clues?

Yes you can if you use linux (Debian/Ubuntu). Just use IRIE’s ppa: https://launchpad.net/~irie/+archive/blender

Your copy of blender will update once a week!

Anyone who would ask this question is doomed to failure imo. Let me explain myself. So we have arguably the most complex 3d software ever designed and what are we worried about here? Auto updating? Yeah good luck with blender.

Now I will apologize for being a penis and saying all those mean things. Sorry.

oh c’mone this is by far the most easy script to write…
You turn on blender.

Blender run script for autoupdate
if( current version < (version from site)){
There is new version do you want to upgrade yes/no if yes
download.exe
} else {
just nothnik…
}

Yep, it’s along those lines. You need to add handlers for different platforms. And some signature verification to garantee you’re not downloading from a bad server. However the effort has already been done by others and there are frameworks out there that can do most of the job for you.

Dani

the auto update checks… what version of blender do you have for win etc… and it downloads the same type of version from blender.org. easy…

Then go ahead and write it and maintain it. Things get done when people do them.

would also be nice to check like a date or hours not to do that everytime you open up blender!
but again do you check for the official version at blender org
or builbbot / graphical ?

happy bl

Mmm, this code doesn’t work. What I am doing wrong ?? PLZ HEELP!

Now seriously, nothing stops you from implementing it. You even have the servers online at blender.org
Is it really that hard to download it every two or three months? I really hate when applications upgrade themselves (adobe, java…).

Of course, I love when it is the OS that upgrade them, and so I use linux. :slight_smile:

A starting point may be: