Is there a way to be notified of new posts matching certain key words?

(Ray Mairlot) #1

I make an add-on and recently searched Blender Artists to see if there were any mentions of my add-on in case anyone needed support or information. There was a rather old result which I had previously missed and I realised it would be useful to be able to be notified of new posts that contain certain keywords in the same way you can be notified about new posts with certain tags or in certain categories.

Does this feature already exist somewhere?

(FinalBarrage) #2

There is no way to do this as of yet, however i completely agree that this would be an interesting feature.
I found this article on it, interesting read.
@bartv is this something worth looking into?

Régis Hanolzogstripteam

May '15

I believe you have all the hooks available to do that in a plugin. Listen for post_created and post_updated and generate notifications whenever the raw contains one of the highlighted words.

The hardest part will probably be the UI :wink:

Jeff Atwoodcodinghorrorco-founder

May '15

Another form of this is the “saved search” where a search is performed every (x) days or hours, and any new matches for the search are sent via email.

You can see this on eBay and the like.

(FinalBarrage) #3

I found this, maybe this might work?

@bartv

(Bart Veldhuizen) #4

If more people need this I can install it.

(FinalBarrage) #5

Personally i would also like to have this available, for other reasons. Unless it puts a lot of strain on the server then i see no reason not to. I think its one of those things that not a lot of people think they want until they have it.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #6

That’s exactly what I’m concerned about, and I’m a little reluctant to invest the time if only two people will ever use it :slight_smile:

(noki paike) #7

I will soon want to create a forum based on discourse for my local community of my town, nothing that has to do with computer graphics.
but I’m paying close attention to how discourse works … it fascinates me.

(Ray Mairlot) #8

Think you may have misread/misunderstood what @FinalBarrage said:

I think its one of those things that not a lot of people think they want until they have it.

Meaning, most people won’t realise its use until they have it (“It’s the feature I didn’t know I needed!” etc.). Of course, there’s absolutely no guarantee of that, just wanted to clarify.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #9

Fair point, I was reacting more to the ‘Unless it puts a lot of strain on the server’ part :slight_smile: In order to keep an environment stable it’s better to be conservative with what we add to it, and only do so when we really need it.

(Ray Mairlot) #10

Apologies, my mistake :slight_smile:.

It would be a nice feature, but agree that more people need to chime in and say they also want it.

(XYZero) #11

I think this would be a great feature to have.
Sometimes I like to keep track of certain things going on.
Definitely would use this.

(XYZero) #12

Well…seems to be no interest in this feature.
Too bad, I was looking forward to this.

(parel) #13

Id love to scan for keywords- always on the lookout for eevee posts

(XYZero) #14

Or updates or development to addons!
Sometimes weeks or months go by before finding out about an update.

(cgCody) #15

While it’s not going to notify you specifically on updates, a middle solution might be to set up tag tracking in the site preferences. You can automatically track all threads with the tag “add-on”, for example. The operative word there being ALL is the downside, however.

(Blenderjack) #16

Searching forum sites with Google often gives better results. They also have a great free tool to automate it.

Google alerts https://www.google.com/alerts

Get new results as often as you like. When you enter a search text it’ll show all it finds now. You only get alerts for new hits. All the usual Google search tricks apply:

Alert on hits at BA with the exact wording:
site:blenderartists.org “animated render border”

Alert on hits at BA for exact wording plus your name (first and/or last)
“animated render border” + ray mairlot site:blenderartists.org

Create alerts for your name and your addons webwide. Make many others as needed. 1000 alert limit per account. Those omnipresent bloggers and devs aren’t psychic after all. They just use google. :wink:

-LP

(cgCody) #17

Wow, that’s really cool! Never knew that existed. Thanks for sharing.

(Bart Veldhuizen) #18

Hi everyone,

I dug in a bit more and read that:

• This is an ‘official’ Discourse plugin
  • The saved searches run only once per day

This eased my worries about server load and I have now enabled this plugin:

(Bart Veldhuizen) #19

10 days after implementing this feature, there’s exactly 1 person using it. :thinking:

(ambi) #20

I just now actually learned that it even exists and I visit this site multiple times per day.