Is there a way to instance a modifier across multiple objects?

I’m a newbie, coming from 3DS Max:

Is there a way to instance a modifier across multiple objects? Eg: say I have 10 different meshes and I want to use the Bevel modifier on them all with identical settings, can I create the modifier once on the first object, then instance it onto the rest?

It would allow me to tune or animate the settings across all the objects simultaneously, rather than having to update each modifier individually.

Failing that, is there a way to add / remove identical modifiers to/from multiple objects simultaneously?

Thank you!

Copy modifiers to selected objects from the active object (last object selected) with Ctrl+L or enable the Copy Attributes addon (File / User Preferences / Addons) to copy specific modifiers

There is an add-on, that allows one to do what you ask, sorry but I can’t remember it’s name. I’ve seen posts on the forums of BA with regards to it.

Thanks, Richard.

So does that mean there’s no way to instance rather than copy modifiers? Is there perhaps a way of assigning the same modifier instance to multiple objects with a line of Python, or is there something intrinsic about how modifiers work in Blender that means you could never share a single mod with multiple objects?

I’m guessing that if I wanted to control (say) the bevels of multiple objects simultaneously I could tie all their Bevel Width parameters to one function curve, so they’d be linked even if I didn’t need to animate them. Does that seem right?

h

I don’t think there is a way to really instantiate a modifier. I’m pretty sure that this has something to do with blenders internal object hierarchy. Most likely a modifier exists as an object modifier and not as a sole modifier of its own. BTW: if you copy an object in the viewport you also copy its modifiers.

I’m guessing that if I wanted to control (say) the bevels of multiple objects simultaneously I could tie all their Bevel Width parameters to one function curve, so they’d be linked even if I didn’t need to animate them. Does that seem right?

You perhaps could add a driver to the width of the first modifier. Then copy the object and animate - for example - an empty to control the bevel width.