Is there a way to make the transform axes lock stick between transform operations?

I tried to slide verts along a plane but I think the algorithm samples the surface or something and it seemed to bump the vertex around on the surface a bit.

There is an option, kinda hard to spot/easy to miss, in the TRANSFORM ORIENTATIONS menu that allows users to save named custom transform orientations.

It’s the little “+” sign in the menu.

For my ‘money’, it’s a little TOO subtle: a button saying “+Custom” would attract a lot more attention.
OTOH, it’s a great feature.

Ah, thank you, I’m aware of that feature and I agree with you, it is great.

I mean, for operations like moving a bunch of points one-by-one, but wanting to constrain them to the X or X-Y plane for example, I have to use my shortcuts to enable the specific lock I want each time where ideally, I would have a way to lock the lock between transformations, so it’s only one operation to move on my chosen translation axis/axes rather than three, if you see what I mean?

Edit: Oh I have just thought of it. I think there is a way to camera lock on a specific object’s axis and then I could switch to orthographic view. I’ll try it when I have time and mark this as solved for posterity if it’s the case.

one core function in blender is called Active element. this is an heritage of the orientation of the last select/deselect element in edit mode / object mode / pose mode etc…
see it in action here:
active_edit_mode

Damn that seems convoluted.

normaly i’m doing that with only shortcuts… i have used the interface to be more simple and understandable…
but it seems that i failed…arrrglll

try to reproduce it you ll understand ,for sure.