Is there a way to make windows with Subdivis

Hello! This is my first post in blenderartist.org so don’t be surprised if the topic is wrong with my question. So I have 1 question when i was modeling with sub division modifier ( I use it usually for making helicopters and planes etc ) What is the best way to make windows with sub division modifier. So do I need to follow the window and model the frame/base or can I cut the window out?

Hey there. So, It is a little hard to answer your question in this context. I will give my suggestion but let me also explain why this is difficult to answer like this. In short, yes, you can model anything with a subdiv modifier. To crease an edge you have a few options, most commonly is to use a combination of holding edges and bevels to keep your corners and edges sharp. This is true of any model. My question and concern may be more of, why would you use a subdiv mod on a window? This is difficult to answer because the anser is yes, but, it is likely very unnecessary and without seeing your base mesh already, I don’t know if you really need it. Unless it is a beauty shot of the frame molding explicitly, where I see every bump and ridge at 4k, I have done professional work for clients that has no subdivs on the window molding, and their product literally was molding. Instead, I just beveled / modeled the mesh with that level of detail so I was not wasting faces on flat areas that really don’t need it.

If you want to at bare minimum post a well annotated reference photo, and I do mean well annotated if you cant post what you have so far, I can quickly show you how I would do it, provided it is not some super complex window that would take me an extended period to make.

1 Like

Oh… I thought sub division gave like a realistic look and stuff and what i mean is like image I’m using the sub division on the base of the helicopter blueprint but get confused when i get to model the windows. So I use sub division to get a good nice feel to it with bumps and clean edges etc.

Knowing this is a helicopter now helps. Ok, yeah, I may subdiv that but again, you don’t really need to. Subdiv really shouldn’t be used as a magic goodizer. It can polish over edges when shading or silhouette feels or looks off. I can show you how I would approach it still. Give me just a few. I am working on some stuff for a client right now but as soon as I am done I will record a short video. Generally, if you do a good job modeling up front, you will typically (emphasis on typically, not always) find that you dont need or only need 1 level of subdivisions. Short of terminator artifacts and refractive artifacts, subdivs make little to no difference to your normal shading. Shade smooth is better for that. In this case, the helicopter windows are bulbous and it may make sense to do some level of subdivisions on them to form a better profile on the silhouette. Perhaps one or two levels but any higher would be a waste. Again, I will get to a video for you shortly.

1 Like

Ok! That would be great again thank you for the help just take your time I’m in no rush.

If you still need help I will try to do the video soon for you. If the written answer was enough thats great. I have been rendering on my main machine for like a day straight now so I haven’t been able to really sit down and record anything quite yet.

1 Like

Oh ok! yeah I’m still a bit confused. I hope the render goes well again don’t stress I can wait.

Because yeah I no doubt need a bit help on how to go about helicopters etc haha…

Still trying to find a good time to record this for you. Stuff keeps piling up on my plate with work. I may be able to give you some quick advice though. It seems you are treating your blockout like the model. Think of you blockout more like a template and try treating your final model like detailed wrapping paper. I would not put windows and things on your vehicle as you have it now, subdivide to like 4 or 5 on what you have now and just make sure it is the correct shape and proportion with subdiv on at a very primary level, then begin building your secondary details as a second mesh on top of that one. When you are finished you can just mute the subdiv modifier on your primary and then hide it from viewport and render. You will then work in your tertiary details onto the secondary mesh. I will try to elaborate on that when I have some time to do the video. I think I might have some time this evening if I am lucky.

Generally it is good practice in production modeling to work in 3 stages. There is a lot to this work flow but it can be boiled down to a simple principal.

• Primary detail
  • Secondary detail
  • Tertiary detail

In your primary detail you only worry about basic form. Get the shape and proportions right. As you transition into secondary evaluate if you are going to ““wrap”” so to speak which in your case I would, I find it better for vehicle art typically, or if you are just going to use it as a basic guideline. Then in secondary begin fleshing out the features of the mesh and setting yourself up for success with good holding edges and loops, good texile density, etc. Then in tertiary begin worrying about fine detail like bumps, dents, displacement, paneling, rivets, what makes the model unique to it’s own. This is the very base level rudimentary spine of most modeling workflows. It is common and mostly consistent across the board regardless of your style or means and method.

Give that a shot and let me see if I can take some time later to help more.

1 Like

So I gave it a shot and used subdivide 4or 5 don’t remember it but it came out nice as a mesh

isn’t windows secondary detail bc I need to really get that out of the way cause its been bugging me.

Nevermind im redoing cause the mesh of the HUEY i way way off also im keeping it still