Is there an easier route to get to my final object?

Hello,

I’m just starting out with Blender and my first project (3d printing prototype) is to create a fairly plain shape which I think I’ve achieved OK - the following screen shows the elements I used laid out, my first attempt then my final attempt (the crown shaped object at the end with 5 upright sections):

The final result was achieved by creating the ‘n’ shaped section and using a boolean to cut into the side of a cylinder (by rotating it through 72 degree increments).

The steps to get here were fairly straightforward but in the final mesh the inset ‘n’ cutouts - unsurprisingly - didn’t line up with the rotating cylinder mesh so I had to realign most of the verticals (will show mesh in subsequent post as I’m a noob so restricted to one image per post).

So my question is: is there a quicker more elegant way to achieve this form?

Thanks

And here’s the mesh view (though all the edges and vertices have been corrected by this point - a real pita to do):

Another approach is to make a simple shape first, Array it 5 times, Bend it 360° to get the circle.

And then Solidify and some Bevel to sharpen the edges. A subdivision surface modifier will take care of the rounded pieces.

Ah I knew there had to be an easier way. Thanks for that I shall give that approach a try!

1 Like

Hello @BlenderSL,

I’ve figured out most of the steps, The only thing that has me stumped is I end up with a break in the ring where the two ends of the array join:

I’ve tried to find a solution but so far it’s eluding me. BTW if I apply any or all of the modifiers the break remains.

1 Like

Scratch that I finally figured it out, once I’ve applied the modifiers I need to Edit Mode > Vertex > Remove Double Vertices.

Thanks again for the help!

You are welcome. Happy blending. :slight_smile:

1 Like