Is there an industry standard software for creating web comics?

Just wondering if there is an industry standard software for creating web comics

Two notes: there isnā€™t a web comics industry as much as there is a collection of indie creators. Thereā€™s not really web comic studios or jobs, itā€™s almost entirely freelance and independent. So, ā€œindustry standardā€ doesnā€™t mean anything here.

Also, thereā€™s very often not just one software. Lettering and layout are usually done in their own software, whereas art, lines, and color are a separate software. Of the webcomic authors I know, many of them use Adobe Illustrator or Adobe InDesign for layout and lettering, and CSP or Krita for art. Thatā€™s not touching project management and scripting; project management is usually done in Google Sheets or Notion, and scriptingā€¦ thereā€™s a million options not worth enumerating

1 Like

Well featurewise Clip Studio Paint EX 2.0 is more or less directly targeting that market. But as already has been noted there are other options.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer!

1 Like

Affinity Publisher with Affinity Designer is also pretty powerful.

3 Likes

there is also Comic Life, but I canā€˜t recommend it. Itā€˜s very easy to use, but also very limited in the possibilities.

1 Like

Industry standard and webcomics are mutually exclusive terms if for no other reason than the complete lack of standards can be half the appeal of webcomics for many creators and their audience.

But, Clip Studio Paint is overall the most popular. In addition to being a fantastic program for illustration in itā€™s own right*, it has a lot of tools specifically designed for laying out webcomics (EDIT: Fun fact - Clip Studio was originally named Manga Studio in the US and Comic Studio in Japan). Photoshop (sometimes combined with Illustrator/InDesign) and Krita are also popular choices, and Affinity Photo should work as well.

(* According to people who use it. I havenā€™t, but Iā€™ve spent a lot of time in the webcomics community.)

2 Likes

yes I think its called clipstudio paint and I never tried it. but I used kritaā€¦ I think the kritablend combo is very powerful and bring you to do massive cheatsā€¦ in blender you have cheats that are insane, and basically you can cheat way beyond the way that other softwares allow you to, its so unfair that I almost feel bad about itā€¦

just joking, I cheat as much as I can, because blender is a beast. Like, as an example I cheated my way to success making this imge where I sculpted the strokes, this is an insanely unfair level of cheating that i have never seen in any other software.

1 Like

I like cheating too : )

1 Like